News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A buddys 440 blows oil out the dip stick when he hard accellerates

Started by ottawamerc, July 07, 2014, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Hi guys
Well for a change its not my car that needs help :rofl: My buddys car (a 68 R/T) blow oil out his dipstick when he puts his foot into it and sprays oil all over? His 440 is customized a bit by it has 2 4BBL's and a custom air cleaner. The PCV valve is going into the passenger valve cover and he has just installed a filtered breather into the drivers valve cover. Now the oil is showing around that breather too? The engine doesnt seem to have too agressive of a cam and runs well. Any ideas whats causing this ::)

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Challenger340

Excessive Blowby ?
If the PCV is working properly ?.... make sure it's sucking at high speed cruise.
Crankcase pressure is about all I can think of that would "Blow" the dipstick out ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

:iagree: excessive crankcase pressure is about the only thing that will push a dipstick out.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

So you think his rings are done? I guess he needs to do a compression and leak down test. :pity:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

firefighter3931

Scott,

Compression test is a good place to start....do a dry test first followed by a wet test to compare numbers.  ;)

Does the engine blow any smoke out the tailpipes ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

Highbanked Hauler

do the simple stuff first ,pull the pvc valve out .. I had a 318 in a van that the PVC valve was clean but the hose was plugged  where it was going into the carb.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kern Dog

When the piston rings are worn, the following happens:
Combustion pressure from the burning of fuel and air pushes the piston down. Worn rings allow some of the cylinder pressure to slip past the rings down the cylinder and into the "crankcase". The PCV is supposed to pull pressure from the crankcase but if the pressure is too much, the pressure finds another exit. It will either push oil past the oil fill cap, past a poor sealing oil pan gasket or seal, OR push the dipstick out.

heyoldguy

Was this engine recently rebuilt? And.......whenever it was built, what endgaps were used on the compression rings?