News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Quick 4-Speed Question...

Started by Lighthorseman, July 03, 2014, 03:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthorseman

So, my newly built 440 came home, and I am trying to put the 4-speed on.  I bolted up the bellhousing, and now the issue I have is that I cannot get the input shaft all the way in.  The clutch came with a plastic thing that simulates the input shaft, and it seems to be exactly the same as the one on my 4-speed.  Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?  I don't want to start trying to force things lest I screw something up.

Thanks!
- Steve -

A383Wing

maybe the center of crankshaft is not drilled deep enough to accept the input shaft of the trans?

are you sure that the crankshaft that is installed in the engine is actually for a manual trans and not an automatic trans?

Lighthorseman

Thanks for the response, Bryan!  Well, the clutch is attached to the flywheel, and there is a little plastic thingy in the input shaft hole, which I assume is just to keep dirt out.  It measures exactly the same length and so on the 4-speed shaft, and it fits beautifully.

It seem to me that the smooth part of the shaft goes in just fine, but comes to a dead stop as soon as the "teeth" are supposed to engage.  Are there different sized "teeth" on 4-speed trannies?  The ones my 4-speed has look to be exactly the same as the ones on the plastic stopper.  Do I have to put a little oil on the "teeth" or something?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
- Steve -

A383Wing

there should not be anything in the hole in the crankshaft except the pilot bushing, and it's not plastic.

there are only 2 different splines, 18 tooth, or 23 tooth splines on disc and trans input shaft. Do not "oil" the teeth....it's either wrong or it's right....alignment is off or something. Maybe remove the "plastic" thingy?

pics would help here