News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tough sell

Started by charger01, December 01, 2014, 01:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

Ok,so what's wrong with it?I doesn't look like a 30+k car of course,the headline looks like it was installed by a child or me  :nana: philips screwheads are wrong,what else?
Runs drives good,heater works,gauges work!As Myk said it doesn't have to be a showcar.A good driver that you can drive as you stole it and not worry about the dings and scratches!However 35k is way too much for it!

It's bad you have to choose bettween your house and a car but after all these are "toys" only,well in most cases,and family comes first!

fy469rtse

A patient person will fix that head liner , can adjust , get it tighter, headlight doors work , shows that vacuum pods function,
68 guys on here hopefully will decode that fender tag , 35 too much, it's only got a passable 10 foot paint job

cavemanno1

Quote from: lukedukem on December 01, 2014, 02:14:30 PM
Quote from: charger01 on December 01, 2014, 01:21:37 PM
I have seen this charger on ebay numerous times within the last month or so.  fender tag doesnt match the dash vin????? dash vin screwed on with regular screws?  I can see why he's having a hard time selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-1968-dodge-charger-383-great-shape-quality-driver-ready-to-go-/221622826625?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3399bff681&item=221622826625&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

the VON and VIN are different. i believe 68 used the VON on fender tag and VIN for dash? someone correct me if i'm wrong

luke

Might seem to be ignorant but i actually never heard about VON numbers!So what do they mean?I know the VIN is body style,manufacturing plan, production number etc.

Thanks,

Peter

fy469rtse

Ok sorry , paint is better than that,
Front inner stud on c pillar trim to deck panel broken, rear of the other side broken off, vinyl roof trim
Ash tray door missing
Good options , air if it works, power steering,
Missing dome lense to interior light

fy469rtse

Von is the factory , vehicle order number , which is on the tag of 68's, so there vin on dash does not match, seems odd but that's the way the were, build sheet is the only way to link both von and vin
If I was considering this car, I would like to see from underneath rear deck area to make sure the the repairs were done properly,

six-tee-nine

Dont want to sound like an ass, but if someone welds in a new trunk floor and doesnt even care to grind the welds properly, that leaves alot to be desired, and starts worrying me about the thickness of the bondo on the rest of the car.

But it could be a cool driver for someone who wants one to fix while driving.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Homerr

The VIN screw thing is a major PITA. 

1.  Check the core support and trunk rail for matching VIN numbers.  If they don't match then the car and your state requires an inspection then the state police will pop that ol' tag off and put a nice state assigned one in it's place.  If the numbers match or are not present then proceed to step 2.

2.  Immediately after buying the car, but before sending through any state inspection need to fix the VIN issue.  Pull the windshield.  Then unscrew the VIN tag and flatten it out without scuffing, reattach with proper rosette rivets.  Reinstall glass.  Blow some dust on it, spash some puddle water on it.

3.  Cross fingers and run it through the state inspection.  If they find the VIN tampered with then you still get a nice state assigned VIN.

So there's risk involved with this car.  The yahoo with the screws probably cost himself $5-10,000 for the next owner to eat that risk.  Or a buyer that doesn't give a rip about the VIN needs to be found.

charger01

Too many potential title problems with this car. Why ever mess with the vin tags unless something screwy is going on?

bigdsul

Depending on the state that car as is won't clear inspection. Good ol California would eat that car up and spit it back out. For 35k there there should be a clean, clear, and worry free title. For 35k the paint, trunk, trim, wiring, interior, seats, column shifter indicator should be spot on not a Earle schein one off.

18-20k would be more realistic without the VIN risk. As it sets maybe 10k including the potential for VIN issues.

Ghoste

Would they actually come out and inspect the car though or just look at the sheet of paper and stamp it?

charger01

In Ohio, when I bought mine. It had no motor or tranny, still had to trailer it to the bmv for inspection.

Daytona R/T SE

If you get pulled over with drywall screws holding your VIN on...

You're going home without a car.  :Twocents:

chargerperson

Car relisted for what I believe is 5th time with no reserve, $22,000 opening bid.  I.e., $22,000 or higher bidder takes it. Last auction did not make reserve ending at $20,500. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-1968-dodge-charger-383-great-shape-with-original-motor-/221634890244?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339a780a04&item=221634890244&pt=US_Cars_Trucks