News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8v71 blower

Started by westcoastdodge, June 23, 2014, 03:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

hey guys,has anyone on here tried fitting the detroit diesel blower to there big block,i am aware they have an odd mounting base but a plate can be made to mount to a blower manifold,i am also aware that the bearings and seals have to be changed for gasoline??also i think a lot of the snouts and front cases may be interchangable with other 71 style blowers??
any help would be great
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121353337335?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

cudaken

Ray, unless things have changed pass it on! When I was blower shopping I all most bought one. But then no one made a blower intake or drive set up for it.

I would either find a local blower person or buy from a Manufacturer like BDS. Cost of rebuilding a stock Diesel Blower can get up there.

Cuda Ken   
I am back

1974dodgecharger

like Cuda Ken saids....

I was looking for one a Detroit one to see how cheap I could go, but after you add up your costs minus the carbs your looking at 1k with a rebuild setup, but the manifold can be had also I forgot who makes it....all in all it would cost me 2k or so not worth it considering then you gotta still buy pulleys, belts, etc..where as superchargerusa.com has everything all for you for 3500 bucks or so give or take.

Rolling_Thunder

Pass --  you'd be way better off just finding a 8-71 non "v" style...   there is very little to no aftermarket support for these on a mopar engine....     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

crj1968

Agreed- I was in the same boat a while ago. I think you are much better off with less headache and $ buying a kit.

I kind of landed on Dyer as a reasonable choice

westcoastdodge

thanks guys for all the input,would not really have bothered beforehand but putting together a buddys ford pop has got me thinking and i actually kin love it.my freind also had an8v71 blower on his jensen before he sadly passed.just thought it could be a cheaper way to do one over time.the wife would not approve of sinking $3500 to $4000 into a blower kit.
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz