News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driveshaft loop install question (w/ tremec)

Started by XH29N0G, June 13, 2014, 03:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I just bought a Metco driveshaft loop.  Their install instructions suggest removing seats, carpet & console and putting the car on a lift before drilling through the floor pan.  I do not have a lift and I have a bench seat and no console.  There looks like a fair amount of space under the seat.  

I am contemplating drilling from the underside, and then figuring out how to put holes through the carpet and mat without pulling the carpet.  I would then drop the bolts through (over the carpet) and put in the loop.  It seems straightforward this way.  

Am I missing something big?   I have a Tremec transmission, and by my first pass measurements all of this will be under the seats and out of view.  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

fy469rtse

I think you might have the bolt holes interfere around seat tracks , making it hard to put your bolts brought with tracks in the way ,
Drill from bottom, use a soldering iron to melt through the Capet from underneath, that way you should be able to holes and decide if you need to remove seats to get to the holes

XH29N0G

Quote from: fy469rtse on June 14, 2014, 03:53:16 AM
I think you might have the bolt holes interfere around seat tracks , making it hard to put your bolts brought with tracks in the way ,
Drill from bottom, use a soldering iron to melt through the Capet from underneath, that way you should be able to holes and decide if you need to remove seats to get to the holes

Thanks, that makes sense.  As far as I can tell, the bench seats only use the two outer seat tracks so this may work.

Or maybe it protects us. 

fy469rtse

Sounds good , instructions are assuming muscle car with buckets , good luck with it

John_Kunkel

I would drill from the bottom with a very small drill and then push a needle up through the carpet to locate the hole's position....that way if you don't like the position you only have a tiny hole to plug. If all is well then increase the size of the hole to the bolt size.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

XH29N0G

I just took some preliminary measurements and the tail shaft of my transmission looks to be considerably lower than the stock set up.  I also think the driveshaft may be a larger diameter than stock.  The driveshaft will therefore have somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" clearance with the lower inside part of the loop.  The options I can think of are (1) to go with it the way it is, (2) to shim the loop so it is lower, or (3) to look into raising the transmission.  #3 will require some massaging of the tunnel.  Which option is the way to go?  Or is there another option? 

Or maybe it protects us. 

fy469rtse

I would put it as forward as you can , the idea of it is to catch shaft if universal fails , with it forward the amount of clearance needed is reduced,
Mock it up , post a photo before you install let us see

XH29N0G

I did a mock up and it is a worse situation than I thought.  The loop contacts the driveshaft (see pics below). 

My guess is that I need to find someone who will help me pull the transmission, modify the tunnel, and raise the tailshaft of the transmission.  (This will also help me with driveline angles which are OK, but a bit on the high side.)

I suppose a second option would be to shim the loop so it sits lower, but my guess is that you and others here will also think that a worse choice than raising the tail of the transmission.

I am looking to bolt into the relief on the floor pan because I assume it is stronger and nicely placed.

Thoughts?  Advice?

Or maybe it protects us. 

RallyeMike

Do you have it in upside down?

Otherwise, it seems it would be easier to cut off the tabs and weld them onto a better spot than to go through all that trans/tunnel stuff.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XH29N0G

Mike,

Thanks,  The instructions say to put the smaller portion of the ring on the bottom, which I did.  I don't think it will fit flipped over.  I had not thought about cutting the tabs and welding.  I don't weld (yet) so I would need to find someone to do that, but I hadn't thought of that as an option. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

John_Kunkel

I'd just place some spacer plates between the floor and the loop tabs.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just ordered some 1/2 inch Aluminum bar to make a shim and slightly longer bolts.

Or maybe it protects us. 

RallyeMike

QuoteMike,

Thanks,  The instructions say to put the smaller portion of the ring on the bottom, which I did.  I don't think it will fit flipped over.  I had not thought about cutting the tabs and welding.  I don't weld (yet) so I would need to find someone to do that, but I hadn't thought of that as an option. 

Ya, I went and looked the part up on line. It must not be made to accommodate the Tremec. The spacer should do the trick. Good luck.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

six-tee-nine

Maybe a little late, but why not a drive shaft loop from US Cartool?
It mounts to the trans crossmemeber without adittional drilling.

However cant say how it works with a aftermarket trans or aftermarket crossmember.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

XH29N0G

Quote from: six-tee-nine on June 17, 2014, 05:22:47 AM
Maybe a little late, but why not a drive shaft loop from US Cartool?
It mounts to the trans crossmemeber without adittional drilling.

However cant say how it works with a aftermarket trans or aftermarket crossmember.....

I thought about that and like their design, but read in a few places that they did not work well with the tremec geometry.  If I had one to try, I would, but right now, I think I will work with what I have.

If anyone knows otherwise (i.e., they fit) please correct me on this. 

I appreciate the suggestion.

Or maybe it protects us.