News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint/Body work reccomendations

Started by sext7366, March 28, 2006, 10:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

my 70 is getting the new engine, but next I will need to do some body work, and then paint.  Does anyone know of a good shop in OKC, or does anyone know of a good shop chain.  This car is basically a daily driver, I probably drive it 2-3 times a week, so I'm not looking for that special 2000 dollar paintjob, just something to keep it from rusting out until I have enough money to fully restore her.  Basically I will need some work on at least one of the rear quarters, as I have a dent toward the very back of it, and also a crack has appeared by the wheel well.  The hood is also bent by the front, and the overall paint is ok for a driver, but definately has some rough spots.  I have heard the prep work is very important before paint, but was still considering using a place like maaco.  Yeah they can be good, or suck Ive heard the stories, but cheap is cheap period.  Most other places I checked with started at about 1200 and went up to 3500.  Anyway what are your opinions screw maaco, find somewhere else, have a shop do the prep work and buy a compressor to paint it myself?  I have about $1200 for this including the body work, and I suppose I could have them repaint the areas they have too and leave the rest alone, but then the car will be shiny here and there, but not allover (this just seems too low class for a charger). 

Telvis

That's not much of a budget for body and paint work. Macco might be your best bet. You might even find they are higher than your budget allows. it might be better to save for a while and do it right the first time.

wylde8

This is just my opinion, but I would wait until you have a bit more saved up.  $2000 is not an expensive paint job.  Most good paint jobs will run $5000+.  I'd be surprised if even Maaco could do what you expect for $1200 without cutting corners that shouldn't be cut.  Prep work takes tons of time.  Also, most places won't let you do the prep work.  If it doesn't meet their satisfaction, and I'm told it rarely does, then they have to redo the prep work anyway.  Again, I'm not trying to discourage you, and this is just my opinion.  But, I think you will be much happier knowing that it was done right the first time instead of having to throw more $ at it later to fix things that were done wrong.  

moparguy01

You wont get very far as far as getting a complete paint job for 1200 bucks. and if you find someone who will, let me know and if he does good work I'll have him do all my shops paintjobs.

a CHEAP scuff and shoot paint job is usually in the 3k-4k range. good paint jobs run from 6= to whatever you want to spend. and also for that price forget about bright colors. especially red. red is pricy paint. you'd have 800 in just paint for red.

Mike DC

Yeah, that's a lot of the problem.  With modern environmental laws & stuff, the SHOP ITSELF will be spending about $1000 just in the raw materials & disposal fees.  And that's not including the cost of paying a worker who knows anything about what he's doing.

Red colors are are 10-20% more expensive than average, and something like white is usually 10-15% less than average.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't afford $2-3K for paint right now, then I vote to pay to have the whole car sprayed with a decent primer/sealer.  It's not as good as paint, but it's a truly waterproof layer (UNLIKE traditional primer) that will protect the body like paint.  A typical primer/sealer will look satin black, sorta like the body of the '68 Charger in the recent "Blade" movies. 

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it's a step in the right direction that will protect the car.  And it's also a decent & acceptable primer layer that won't just be wasted money once you're ready to do the real paintjob.