News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating problem on the 440, with a strange twist??

Started by 71 RT, September 07, 2006, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 RT

I have searched the previous posts concerning this issue and do not see anything like this topic.  I hope someone can help!

I have a strange problem with my radiator/radiator cap and overflow tube.  If I fill my radiator up to near the top and put my radiator cap on, once I start the car almost immediately water starts comming out the overflow tube on to the floor.  It is not all of the water, just about 12-18 ounces, then it stops.  The car runs on the warm side, but never pegs out all the way.  I just can not figure out why it puts some water on the floor, then stops.  I have replaced the radiator cap (16 pounds) and have rodded the radiator.  Anyone else out there have a clue? 
Thanks for your time.

myk

That excess should be flowing into a catch-can or reservoir.  The motor will pull that excess coolant back into itself if it needs it...

dodge freak

Yes if there is no catch can or over fill bottle only fill up the rad 1-2 " to the top. This is how the cars were till the early 70's.

4402tuff4u

My 68 was doing that and my mechanic said that I had to leave some space for heat expansion. You should just have to fill it approx 1" below where the cap seals with the radiator, that's if you dont have a reservoir.  If you have a reservoir as stated above, the rad will intake and/or release coolant as needed.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Chryco Psycho

iuf you have the stock rad you wil see a plate soldered into the rad directly below the rad cap this is the fill line , if you fill above that the heat expansion will push it out

71 RT

Thanks fellas!  Lots of good advise.  My car did not have a reservoir.  I will try leaving it down a bit.  Thanks again fro your time.

resq302

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 07, 2006, 11:55:45 PM
iuf you have the stock rad you wil see a plate soldered into the rad directly below the rad cap this is the fill line , if you fill above that the heat expansion will push it out

Ah is that what that plate is inside the rad.  I always thought that was a baffle so the coolant woudnt splash out the filler neck if you had the rad cap off.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

daytonalo

Don't assume your car runs hot until you use a digital inferred on you rad, engine and upper and lower hose ! I just restored a 69 AMX for a customer and the jackass insisted the car was running hot because of a slow crank problem , I new better and showed him I set up his car to run 150 all day long . Do your homework !