News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cleaning Holley 870 SA idle circuit

Started by 68charger440, June 16, 2014, 11:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

If I put the straw from a can of carb cleaner in the passage that the idle mixture screws go into,  (After removing the idle mixture needle of course) will some of the carb cleaner shoot out of the idle air bleeds on top of thecarb?
The reason I ask is that I am doing battle with a Holley 870 Street avenger and I can't get the idle circuit mixture screws to do anything.  Open or closed the motor runs the same.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Cooter

I usually use compressed air when apart.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68charger440

I tried it and the carb cleaner does shoot up and out through the idle air bleeds.  I was afraid it would all go out through the transition slots or someplace else without any making it up to the bleeds.  I also shot compressed air through the bowl vent holes and it forced raw gas up and out through all of the air bleeds.  So this was an easy way to verify that the air bleeds are clear without taking the carb off of the car.
Unfortunately my idle mixture screws still don't do anything even when closed off completely. I have both primary and secondary transition slots set to where they look square. Is that correct or should I have the secondary slots covered completely at idle?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Mopar4me

Too much of the idle transfer slot is exposed if the idle mixture screws have no effect. Try openening the secondary throttle plates a little bit. Then you should be able to turn your curb idle down a little which will expose less of the transfer slots and the be able to adjust the mixture screws. Also the Street Avengers seem to suffer from poor quality control.

68charger440

Quote from: Mopar4me on June 21, 2014, 09:57:05 PM
Too much of the idle transfer slot is exposed if the idle mixture screws have no effect. Try openening the secondary throttle plates a little bit. Then you should be able to turn your curb idle down a little which will expose less of the transfer slots and the be able to adjust the mixture screws. Also the Street Avengers seem to suffer from poor quality control.
Unfortunately my curb idle is backed all of the way out, and my idle transfer slot is showing a perfect square, so that is not the problem.  I agree that the 870 street avengers quality control is poor.  I have played with the throttle openings till the cows came home.  I don't know how to make sure the power valves are not leaking fuel even at high vacuum.  A vacuum pump tells you if it is opening and closing, but it does not verify that it is making a good seal.

Mopar4me

I see from your other thread you have a decent amount of vacuum. You could use  a small propane torch (not lit) with a short piece of hose on in it put the hose buy the throttle shafts if the idle speed picks up you have a vacuum leak there(then replace the base plate). I assume you have replaced the power valve by now? it's easier to replace the valve than test it. If so same problem? Right size power Valve?  Float height set right? I'm sure you checked all the basics! If you put on one of your other carbs do you have the same condition with the mixture screws. Otherwise as a last resort you can drill out the air bleeds but there is no going back if you go to big. Or you can do like you said and get the pleasure of throwing the street avenger out or sell it on E-bay, and try a different carb.