News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Few Exhaust Noise Questions

Started by JMF, May 14, 2014, 01:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Assuming for this topic of conversation they are the same mufflers used, is there a big difference in noise level between 2" pipes and 3" pipes ?

If removing the mufflers and just having straight through pipes exiting at the rear, would it be the same noise level as open headers on exhaust cutouts or would it be a lot quieter?

Is there a louder muffler out there than Flowmaster 40's ?

Thanks

RallyeMike

My experience is that the same type of system, difference being 2 inch vs. 3 inch, the 3 inch is definitely louder. How much is hard to say. +20-30%?

A straight pipe system is very loud even if ran to the back of the car. While quieter than open headers, its still not really a viable street set up unless you also have cat-converters, which act somewhat also as mufflers. Its quieter to the driver because the exhaust note in 10 feet behind you instead of under your feet.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

Depends on what kind of louder your referring too. I know the smaller dia. Pipe, the raspier the note at WOT.
The bigger the dia. Pipe, the less raspy at WOT.

I once did this very test at a local muffler shop. Began with a stroker 440. Started with 2 1/2" pipes, and Flowbastards.
had a really noticeable WOT 'glasspacky' sound when backing out of it.
Switched to 3" pipes and raspiness was gone, but was louder upon backing off throttle.
finally, went to 4" tailpipe with 3" to mufflers. Low drone was noticeably louder, but hardly any raspiness upon backing of throttle.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"