News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ready-to-Run Distributor question

Started by keith88, April 27, 2014, 01:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

I have a question about distributors I bought a ready to run distributor and i couldn't get the rotor to line up to the old distributor rotor, it appears that on the old dist the slot on the bottom is lined up with the rotor. But on the ready to run the rotor is off about 90degrees  from the the slot on the shaft so i cant get the dist to sit in the engine and get the rotor to point the where it was on the old one. Am i missing something here or did they send me a bad unit?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

John_Kunkel

You'll have to reposition the wires in the cap or reposition the intermediate gear.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

keith88

So i was able to stick a screw driver in the slot in the engine and i was able to turn it 2 teeth to get it with in a 1/4 ' of the mark I need is this OK?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

cudaken

Quote from: keith88 on April 27, 2014, 05:42:22 PM
So i was able to stick a screw driver in the slot in the engine and i was able to turn it 2 teeth to get it with in a 1/4 ' of the mark I need is this OK?

That should work fine. It is much easier with the intake off. Is the Distributor a Fire Core by chances?

Cuda Ken
I am back

keith88

No I bought it from A machine shop on line out of Tenn I believe its a procomp unit at least that is what it looks like.

Firetodd

Today, I just replaced my distributor on my 383. I got a firecore distributor from hero and member Ron (firefighter3931). Maybe I'm crazy, but as long as your at TDC, why care if your new rotor points 90* off. Just use that as plug #1 and wire it in 18436572. Here is the video I sent Ron today: http://youtu.be/H896rZCzASM

keith88

I did not do the top dead center thing just marked the dist and rotor and wanted to make sure it went back in the same place.

keith88

The ready to run ended up not running than i noticed that i already had mopar electronic ignition in it so i did a tune up kit now it running again .