News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Someone PLEASE HELP me with this, i need to drive the car to get another repair

Started by ajay716, May 03, 2014, 05:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajay716

if youre actually reading this, please respond with something helpful because im ready to bash my head against the wall...literally. :brickwall: i was driving the car today, it started to rain while i was with the wife eating. car sat outside in the rain for maybe 30 minutes, started up good and drove fine for about 3 minutes, then after coming to a slow, i got on the pedal and heard the loudest backfire i ever heard in my life, and the car then died....it will start back up but only for a second and wont stay running on its own. if i hold the gas i can get it to drive, but it misfires bad. im hoping that its something easy on top of the motor, but i feel like the timing chain may have jumped a tooth, and i need to drive the car to get a piece of the frame welded before it rots out on me literally. can someone please tell me the simplest things that could cause this? i mean i know check the dizzy and plugs and wires but can you guys just list everything you would check first and whats you think it is personally....please and thanks guys  :(
1973 Charger SE Brougham Numbers Matching
400 C.i.

A383Wing

jumped chain or broken teeth off camshaft...bring #1 up to TDC and see where your rotor is pointing

ottawamerc

I think the rain is the biggest clue here. These cars were notorious for distributor cap issues if they got wet. I would atleast swap out the cap and rotor or spray WD40 in and around to remove any moisture. Hope this helps.
Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

b5blue

Is that scoop on your hood open to the engine bay? (In you pic.) Could be just wet plug wire crossfire.

A383Wing

cudaken

I as well would pull the Disturber Cap, give it a good cleaning and pull the wires from the cap and clean them and the terminals in the cap with a fine sand paper, 400 grit or finer. All so check the wires for burn spots.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

ajay716

soo you guys are going to kill me for this ha, i typed all this before i checked anything because the noise was so loud i thought it was serious like the timing chain...but it turned out it was just a broken rotor!  :icon_smile_big: thank you so much to everyone that actually took the time to reply, it seems sometimes i dont get my questions answered at all. im happy its running fine and now i can go get the front leaf spring shackle welded. but its sunny today so ill be taking her to work. i love this car, thanks again guys  :cheers:
1973 Charger SE Brougham Numbers Matching
400 C.i.

cudaken

I am back

myk

Quote from: ajay716 on May 04, 2014, 09:32:50 AM
soo you guys are going to kill me for this ha, i typed all this before i checked anything because the noise was so loud i thought it was serious like the timing chain...but it turned out it was just a broken rotor!  :icon_smile_big: thank you so much to everyone that actually took the time to reply, it seems sometimes i dont get my questions answered at all. im happy its running fine and now i can go get the front leaf spring shackle welded. but its sunny today so ill be taking her to work. i love this car, thanks again guys  :cheers:

Don't feel bad, brother.  My Charger suddenly developed a mis-fire and I was convinced I needed a completely new drive-train.  Turns out one of my plug wires was melted to an exhaust manifold.  So yeah, live and learn! :scratchchin: