News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger rear brake line installation

Started by 68lugnut, April 27, 2014, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68lugnut

Does anyone have any pictures of the brake line routing and assembly on a 68 charger with the 8 3/4 rear end ?
Hazzard Lugnut

Lord Warlock

Its fairly easy to figure out.  the front to rear brake line runs down the drivers side of the car along the frame rail in the engine bay then along the rocker panel to the rear wheel, and loops around a bit to attach to a rear brake line that bolts to the undercarriage (one bolt hangar) that brake line attaches to a distribution block (Y shaped) that attaches to the rear axle housing on the left side of the axle on the top of the housing itself, one line runs to the left brake, one to the right.  The lines themselves attach near the top of the hub assembly with either a 3/8 nut or a 5/16 can't remember. 

The line runs to the front distribution block which is on the inside of the drivers side frame rail below the master cylinder.  There are pics of this on the site if you look for it.  Front brake lines are a bit more complicated than the rears are, but simple enough once you figure out the blocks.  Also depends on whether you have power discs and drums or manual brakes. 

The easiest way to figure it out is to jack up the car and take the left rear wheel off, you will be able to see the line as it loops around the edge of the wheel housing and around the exhaust pipe to the hangar i spoke of.  You'll also be able to see the distribution block mounted to the top of the 8 3/4 housing. 

I got new lines and then decided to remove the old ones, ended up cutting the old ones off with a cut off wheel on a dremel just to simplify it, 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

68lugnut

Thanks for the reply , I have had my car apart for a few years and can't remember where the hanger or the distribution (y) block mounted .
Hazzard Lugnut

Lord Warlock

There is a threaded hole about 4 inches to the differential on the top of the housing that the y block screws into.  the rear brake hose fits in the front of the y block mounts to the floor via a brace and the front to rear brake line screws into that piece.

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

68lugnut

Thanks Warlock for the picture and the information it has been very helpful
Hazzard Lugnut

Lord Warlock

There is a single hole in the floor that only the hangar will fit to when you get under there, just look in front of the y block mount

Hard Charger

how's this picture

PlainfieldCharger

:o That is one nice looking 8 3/4 ...so smooth...

Hard Charger

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on April 29, 2014, 07:32:21 AM
:o That is one nice looking 8 3/4 ...so smooth...

would you like a moment alone with the 8-3/4"

PlainfieldCharger

that's one fine rear end :rofl:  mine is all pitted. :icon_smile_big: