News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 dash clocks

Started by Hard Charger, May 16, 2014, 03:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard Charger

my dash clock does not work.

how can it be tested to see if it needs repair and does it open up to be repaired or cleaned?

$239 for a new clock may be worth it. or maybe an upgrade to a tic toc.

Ghoste

You can open them up but there are a set of points in there which when they contact close a switch to send power to rewind the works.  In nearly all cases what happens over time is the points burn and weld together as the shaft wears the hole into an oblong shape through the center of it all.  Sometimes that can be fixed and sometimes too far gone.

Hard Charger

how does it open up, do you need to cut rivets out?

Dino

That's what happened to mine.  When I restored my gauges I cleaned up the internals and it worked fine for a while, although it was always a few minutes fast every day.  About a year went by until one day the clock advanced about 5 hours in a matter of minutes and it didn't get any better after that!   :lol:

I have the quartz upgrade now but haven't reinstalled the clock.  I wanted to keep the original guts but a clock that is off is pretty useless to me.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UFO

No need to cut any rivets.
Has been a while since I did one.The arms pull off,there are tabs for the face plate.
Then three area's that need to be twisted straight to get into the guts of it.
The quartz update is a great idea.Not a difficult thing to do.The instructions were easy to follow.

Hard Charger

the quartz upgrade I found says for the TicToc clock only. can't imagine there would be 2 different clocks for the same year car.

Dino

Quote from: Hard Charger on May 16, 2014, 08:13:12 PM
the quartz upgrade I found says for the TicToc clock only. can't imagine there would be 2 different clocks for the same year car.

They are different.  The tach upgrade doesn't work in a plain clock.

Hard Charger

Quote from: UFO on May 16, 2014, 05:49:52 PM
No need to cut any rivets.
Has been a while since I did one.The arms pull off,there are tabs for the face plate.
Then three area's that need to be twisted straight to get into the guts of it.
The quartz update is a great idea.Not a difficult thing to do.The instructions were easy to follow.

done

great advise UFO. wasn't to bad to take apart. now to find the new quartz guts.

UFO

I got mine from Instrument services.If I marked the box correctly ,the clock only kit is # S-3015.
I've done both clock only and clock/tach so confirm the part number before you purchase it.

Dino

I can confirm it's S-3015, I still have the box it came in.

Hard Charger