News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wanna change my electric fuelpump

Started by christianlarsen, April 06, 2014, 05:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christianlarsen

I had an electric fuel pump fitted a while ago and when i drive the engine sometimes stops (feels/looks like its not getting fuel).
It typically happens after I have either fired off the engine but can also happen while just driving normally around. I can then start it again and it will sputter a bit but if i dont rev it i can continue driving and limp home...
I had a friend install it (it was used...) and he thinks it might have a faulty valve, so i want to change it with a new one.
I have brand new cobber tubes fitted, so i dont suspect faulty fuel line either.
I only have 1 outlet hole on the gas tank and would like to keep it like that.

Can somebody recommend an electric fuel pump (nothing over-fancy). I have a 511 engine and a 850cfm carb.

or

should i go back to mechanical pump ?

myk

Honestly, unless you WANT an electrical fuel pump I see no need to run one.  Electronical equipment have iffy reliability, and IMO it's just one more thing on an old car that can go wrong.  That being said, I run a Holley electrical pump on mine and I enjoy not having to prime the 'carb in the mornings, or after not having driven the car in a couple of weeks.  Finally, you can use it as a fool-proof security system if you're smart about it...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

firefighter3931

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms you're describing :

-Vapor lock
-Inadequate gas tank venting
-Overheating or defective fuel pump
-Blocked fuel filter

If it's mostly a street car and you're not using a Roller cam there's no reason not to run a mechanical pump. The Carter HP 120gph street pump is plenty for that combo, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

You need to install a fuel pressure gauge near the carb to see what's really going on with the fuel delivery.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Have you checked the choke?  :scratchchin:

Does it run well most of the time?

While fuel pressure test is a good idea, I would replaces the fuel filter first. I like the Mr Gasket glass filter my self. (Many here will say they are junk and leak) That way you can see what is happening as far fuel delivery when it acts up.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Cooter

Barring any carb. Problems........
If it's a Holley "Red/Blue/Black" pump, there's a screen on the inlet side that can get clogged with trash very easily.
I had an older fuel cell that the foam inside came apart and clogged it up. You would need to remove the top plate on these style pumps to get at it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Lunger

do yourself a favor and spend a few $ more and get a gerotor design pump, holley hp or mallory. quiet is the word.
BULL OF THE WOODS