News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stealth Heads with stock rocker arms??

Started by cougs, March 18, 2014, 01:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougs

All,
After much debate, I finally took the plunge and decided to upgrade to stealth heads on my 383.  I've seen the earlier problems with the 7 degree retainers and see that they are now running comp cams parts so I feel better.

I have a question, can I still run my stamped steel rocker arms?  I like the idea of having some adjustability in the rocker arms for setting lifter preload.  The block hasn't been decked.

I will be running a 262 Lunati Voo Doo, Mancini hardened rods (stock length), with Johnson lifters.
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

cdr

yes you can run stock rockers on that set up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

That's why I like these heads. They appear original, don't have to run stupid crazy, insanely priced, T&D rockers, and no external oiling.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cougs

So, I've never installed rocker arms on a BB mopar (only pedestal type rocker arms  - don't ask).  Do I just bolt down the rocker arm shaft, confirm there isn't slop in the pushrods, and go with it?

cougs

Also, how does the top of the head get lubricated?  The pushrods don't have an oil passage.....   :scratchchin:

cudaken

Quote from: cougs on March 18, 2014, 02:10:14 PM
Also, how does the top of the head get lubricated?  The pushrods don't have an oil passage.....   :scratchchin:

Through the rocker shafts.

Do you have any flow number on the heads and how much where they?

Cuda Ken
I am back

cougs

Quote from: cudaken on March 18, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
Quote from: cougs on March 18, 2014, 02:10:14 PM

Through the rocker shafts.

Do you have any flow number on the heads and how much where they?

Cuda Ken

Oh, that makes sense.  They had some flow numbers on their site but I don't recall what they were.  $550/each for assembled heads with free shipping

BSB67

Quote from: cougs on March 18, 2014, 01:11:26 PM
All,
After much debate, I finally took the plunge and decided to upgrade to stealth heads on my 383.  I've seen the earlier problems with the 7 degree retainers and see that they are now running comp cams parts so I feel better.

I have a question, can I still run my stamped steel rocker arms?  I like the idea of having some adjustability in the rocker arms for setting lifter preload.  The block hasn't been decked.

I will be running a 262 Lunati Voo Doo, Mancini hardened rods (stock length), with Johnson lifters.

You should seriously consider these for your 383:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/e-street-bb.shtml

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1974dodgecharger

Love the Edelbrock heads...I have a RPM heads in mine...love em.

Quote from: BSB67 on March 18, 2014, 05:38:27 PM
All,

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/e-street-bb.shtml

cougs

All,

I've head good things lately about the stealth heads and I like the stock look.  Price difference funded my cam and lifters too.

don duick

I have stock rockers on my stealth heads preload was way out so I bought a set of crane adjustable pushrods.

BSB67

Quote from: cougs on March 18, 2014, 11:15:15 PM
All,

I've head good things lately about the stealth heads and I like the stock look.  Price difference funded my cam and lifters too.

Yes, but your 383 will perform better with the increased compression ratio afforded by the smaller combustion chamber heads.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cougs

Quote from: BSB67 on March 19, 2014, 05:39:17 AM
All,

I've head good things lately about the stealth heads and I like the stock look.  Price difference funded my cam and lifters too.

Yes, but your 383 will perform better with the increased compression ratio afforded by the smaller combustion chamber heads.

I'll be right at 10:1 now with the 80 cc heads.   

BSB67

Quote from: cougs on March 19, 2014, 07:38:37 AM
Quote from: BSB67 on March 19, 2014, 05:39:17 AM
All,

I'll be right at 10:1 now with the 80 cc heads.  

Really?  Care to share the details?  It certainly can be done, but there aren't many paths you can take to get there.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

The stock rocker shaft system will work fine on a Stealth/RPM head casting but with an 84cc chamber you won't be at 10:1 on a 383 cubed build. Some head surfacing will be required to reduce the chamber volume.  :yesnod:

BSB67 is leading you down the right path  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cougs

What's the chamber volume on stock 906 heads?

BSB67

Quote from: cougs on March 20, 2014, 03:25:24 PM

90 cc.  Not sure if that matters though.  Do you have and original, unaltered, never been rebuilt 383?  What you need to know the piston part number, and/or the measured compression distance, and the intended head gasket thickness.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cougs

Quote from: BSB67 on March 20, 2014, 04:56:29 PM

90 cc.  Not sure if that matters though.  Do you have and original, unaltered, never been rebuilt 383?  What you need to know the piston part number, and/or the measured compression distance, and the intended head gasket thickness.

The engine is rebuilt with the stock (original pistons).  My dad bought this car in 1970 and the engine only had 70,000 on it when we rebuilt it in the late 90s (It sat from 1982 to 1999 in my grandma's barn).  We re-ringed it, removed a slight ridge in the cylinders, put in new bearings, balanced it, new timing chain, hardened valve seats, etc.  The block and heads didn't need to be decked.  It's a basic rebuild but the engine is about as close to original as you can get.  Being that the car wil stay in the family we wanted to leave plenty of cylinder walls for future rebuilds.  I don't know what head gasket is in it now but it was part of the gasket kit.  The gasket I'll be using is a Fel--Pro 1009. 

I know the stock 383 HP has about 9.5:1 compression even though it was rated at 10:1.  Any idea what my new compression will be?  When I calc'd it I got right at around 10:1 when going from a chamber of 90cc to 82cc.

BSB67

Quote from: cougs on March 20, 2014, 07:14:55 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on March 20, 2014, 04:56:29 PM

The engine is rebuilt with the stock (original pistons).  My dad bought this car in 1970 and the engine only had 70,000 on it when we rebuilt it in the late 90s (It sat from 1982 to 1999 in my grandma's barn).  We re-ringed it, removed a slight ridge in the cylinders, put in new bearings, balanced it, new timing chain, hardened valve seats, etc.  The block and heads didn't need to be decked.  It's a basic rebuild but the engine is about as close to original as you can get.  Being that the car wil stay in the family we wanted to leave plenty of cylinder walls for future rebuilds.  I don't know what head gasket is in it now but it was part of the gasket kit.  The gasket I'll be using is a Fel--Pro 1009. 

I know the stock 383 HP has about 9.5:1 compression even though it was rated at 10:1.  Any idea what my new compression will be?  When I calc'd it I got right at around 10:1 when going from a chamber of 90cc to 82cc.

Now we're getting somewhere.

The factory original piston will be about 0.005" below the un-cut factory deck (within a few thousandths).  You pretty much need to run a .040 head gasket anyway.  Much less you could have piston to head contact.  So, with 80 cc chambers, you'll be at about 9.6:1 CR.  Not bad at all for the cam you are considering.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

heyoldguy

Before you bolt the Stealth head on, lay the 1009 gasket on the head and make sure it doesn't overhang the combustion chamber. It shouldn't, but it may be very close. The 1009 is a smaller diameter than the 8519PT1 which would have no problem on the Stealth head. I use the 1009 if I'm going above 12:1 compression and the 8519PT1 up to 12:1.