News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Performance valve covers.

Started by Windsor, March 20, 2014, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Has anyone had issues with the Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers? I put mine on today and cracked one of the corners. I pulled it back off and also check th other and noticed that both are curved. Mine are the black finned style valve covers. I will probably just seal the crack, but I was just wondering if this is a common issue.

Side note: I used new cork gaskets with a thin bead of RTV on each side with the gasket/RTV clamped and cured to the valve cover before installation.  :shruggy:

Windsor

Here is a pic of it on the motor. I traced the crack in red and put an arrow pointing at it. I still think its odd that the valve covers are bowed.   :think:

comet_666

I had that exact same issue years ago. They would get a bit loose and I would tighten them up. One day I cracked it and had to pitch them. Now I use sheet metal covers because they are a bit more flexible.

histoy

I've read several complaints about them not being flat.  I only had 1 set and the passenger side always leaked oil on the lower rear corner.   I tried 3 types of gaskets, but could never seal the leak.   I went back to the factory steel covers.

ottawamerc

Ya mine did the same when I installed them. Now I just snug up the four middle bolts a little tighter than those corner ones, I sealed the crack on the inside and out with black RTV and so far it working fine.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

cudaken

While I cannot help you with the MP valve covers, I have ran M/T for years with no problems. Has the same style as the MP but say M/T.

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Charger%20Site/08-13-3_zpsc93aaa32.jpg.html]

I bought theses M/T valve covers in the later 70's and they have been on and off countless times! I had them chrome plated in the mid 80's. :D

Cuda Ken
I am back

Windsor

I got the driver side on without cracking. A bunch of noise, but no cracks.
Scott, I like your idea better than what I was going to do. I was goon to use 2 part epoxy, but RTV sounds better.
Ken, I like the M/T covers and have heard a lot of good things about them. I am thinking either a set of those, or a set of fabricated. Either way, I'll be transferring my breathers.