News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint for alternator

Started by Paul 500, March 19, 2014, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul 500

Got an alternator which had supposedly been restored, well it hadn't. Now having to do it myself, I was wondering what paint I should use to get the correct colour for the housing ?
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Nacho-RT74

actually they are cast finish as is, never painted... and really I wouldn't do it.

clean it as best as posible, maybe in fact acid dipping. Or maybe with metallic brush, dunno

( just an opinion )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

sardillim

try checking eastwood, I think they may have something for this

Back N Black

I used a wire wheel attached to a drill, it worked great. :2thumbs:

bill440rt

I would avoid painting the housing IHMO.
There was an article on Moparts I believe other than the link previously posted that outlined aluminum parts restoration. It involved soaking the pieces in a mild acid solution which brightened them back up a bit.
Bead blasting might be too aggressive, you can try soda blasting which is less harsh.
Or, an aluminum wheel cleaner that is designed for bare aluminum wheels with a scotch-brite pad, SOS, etc.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Soda blasting works pretty well.  I was able to turn my old crusty TQ into a shiny new monster with a home setup.   :yesnod:

Acid works as well as do the brushes, paint would be a bad idea though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Paul 500

Thanks for the replies, looks like soda blast it is.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500