News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a clean way to lock the hood on a '68?

Started by RECHRGD, March 16, 2014, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

Over the years I have had to park the car in hotel parking lots when going to out of town events or shows.  Most of the time there is no problems, but a couple of times I found the hood unlatched and one time the rubber seal for the radiator yoke got stolen.  I may be going to Hot August Nights in Reno this year and want to lock the hood without it being obvious, like a cable lock.  Any ideas?
13.53 @ 105.32

A383Wing

get an inside hood release cable & latch assembly off a later model car

daveco

I used to just put a padlock on the safety hook.
R/Tree

RECHRGD

I really don't want to go away from the stock latch.  I'll take another look at it and see if I can get a padlock to work...
13.53 @ 105.32

XS29LA47V21

:popcrn:

bought a Charger long ago from a salvage yard, it had no latch pulled a A body latch with a long arm and drove the car back to the east coast   :2thumbs:  The interesting part is that A body latch arm basically sits right behind the center grill frame brace. 

It is not really locked and kinda difficult to see or feel, but to the average joe he might be stumped long enough to move on.  Opening is arm up through the valence opening when you know where it is at.   It still remains on the car today. 

Good luck. 

b5blue

I snaked a bike lock cable through my 70's hood and locked it underneath until I installed my hood locks. A cheap motion detector type car alarm is also a good idea.

RECHRGD

Quote from: daveco on March 16, 2014, 01:58:40 PM
I used to just put a padlock on the safety hook.

I could not find anyway to do this on my '68.  '69's are different.  I guess I'm stuck with the cable lock idea, not wanting to alter the stock set-up...
13.53 @ 105.32

Moparpoolman

Do you have hood pins?  If yes, For overnight parking you could put mini padlocks in place of the pins then in the morning put the pins back in for driving because you wouldn't want the locks bouncing around while going down the road.

fy469rtse

Had my Rt badges taken of my 68 once, parked near security at a car show , pain in the arse I can tell you, back before repo's came out, had gone to a lot of trouble to re chrome and detail them , guess I short tracked work for some one else, have thought about putting in a cable mechanism , spring load , pin on the end so as to go through original latch, should only be one drill hole
Again thanks guys, would have forgot to do this if I hadn't read this thread, :2thumbs:
I have lost count how many times in the past some one just takes it open them selves to open my hood at car shows,
You know the feeling , you glance across to roughly you car is , and you see your bonnet up

Ghoste

I do know the feeling and it pisses me off.  I use a cable lock myself.

myk

Quote from: Moparpoolman on March 16, 2014, 06:00:24 PM
Do you have hood pins?  If yes, For overnight parking you could put mini padlocks in place of the pins then in the morning put the pins back in for driving because you wouldn't want the locks bouncing around while going down the road.

He wants the stock set up; hood pins need not apply.  

I HATE the hood pins on my car, but they allow me to lock the car up just a little bit more.  I'd recommend to anyone looking to increase their level of security to consider period-correct hood pin setups, despite the non-stock appearance. 

The things we do for peace of mind...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mytur Binsdirti

One of these one each side of the hood & fender will do the trick.     :2thumbs:

Dino

It'll be hard without changing stock specs.  Best options are still using a later model cable system or replace the release handle setup with an electric popper.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 17, 2014, 09:16:33 AM
One of these one each side of the hood & fender will do the trick.     :2thumbs:

:smilielol: :smilielol:  I knew Mr. Dirty Turbin would come up with a proper fix.......
13.53 @ 105.32

autodynamics

I believe lokar has a solution
It's actually easy, just remove the hood release and add a cable

JPL

Hook up a cable to the hood latch nuts, drop it down & padlock it to a suspension part or wrap it around a bracket/frame, that is easily accessible to you from underneath but not visible to everyone else & coil it up when driving, but secure it well so it doesn't come loose and get caught in the belts or tires.