News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed to auto swap

Started by comet_666, March 21, 2014, 06:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

I am swapping my 4 speed out for an auto in a few months. Other than the transmission what other parts will I need (driveshaft? mounts?)

Dino

Seeing as so many want to go the other route, why not find someone close by and do a swap?   
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

comet_666

I am going to keep all my 4 speed stuff just in case some day I want to switch back.
Basically just looking for a parts list of things I need to get other than the trans/shifter/TC itself..

c00nhunterjoe

You will need a flexplate as well. Kickdown linkage and brackets. Is this a console car? That could be interesting if you are going to put a stock shifter in it.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

More info! What year and model of car? Column or console shift? Which automatic transmission? Engine?

A 904 only fits small block engines. There are different 727 transmission cases for small block and big block bell housing bolts patterns. A correct converter for the transmission. A 727 will use the same drive shaft. An automatic cross member and the correct mount. All the kick down linkage and shift linkage. A radiator with the transmission cooler built in (lines go in the bottom) or an alternative cooler. You'll need the lines from the trans to the cooler. If you want a column shift you'll need the correct steering column. If you have a 4-speed console the top plate can be swapped out. You may want the wiring for the indicator light. The reverse indicator under the dash is no longer used but you will need to hook the rear reverse light up. I don't know if the connector is the same or not. The speedometer cable is the same and can be reused.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

comet_666

Sorry guys, it's a 69 Charger, non console, floor shifted (buddy seat) car.

I am going to prob get a brand new transmission (727)Like a TCI or something, would the flex plate not come with this?

Why...  drive-ability and I have had it for 20 years as a 4 speed.

Troy

Flex plate (which I forgot) won't come with the trans. You can probably get the converter (additionally) with the trans. They are easy to find though (looks for someone who did the opposite swap - or any engine pulled and sitting around).

You have a decision to make - a floor shifted automatic used the same steering column but always had a console. Column shift could have a buddy seat but used a different steering column. If you go with the console you have to lose the buddy seat and source the brackets and entire console with shifter for an automatic. I'm not sure how you'd connect the linkage because the 4-speed "hump" is installed over the area where the auto linkage would attach. Without removing the hump and welding in a replacement piece this won't look stock. A simpler and cheaper solution is to mount an after market floor shifter in front of the buddy seat. You'll need a plate and carpet to cover the big hole left from the 4-speed linkage. No column changes and no welding. Easy to reverse.

Troy

comet_666

Thanks for the reply Troy, I replaced the floor so it does not have the 4 speed hump anymore. I was thinking of doing what you suggest, mounting a shifter on the floor in front of the buddy seat.
What about the drive shaft?

Troy

Quote from: comet_666 on March 21, 2014, 02:00:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Troy, I replaced the floor so it does not have the 4 speed hump anymore. I was thinking of doing what you suggest, mounting a shifter on the floor in front of the buddy seat.
What about the drive shaft?
Answered above. Depends on which transmission. If you use a 727 it should fit. There's a chart of the different lengths somewhere around here. I know it works when going auto to 4-speed.

For the record, I *hate* those aftermarket shifters. They look totally out of place. But they work and they're easy to install.

Troy