News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

White spots in chrome

Started by bull, March 01, 2014, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I can't say I'm too excited about rechroming these wing window frames due to the cost and time requirements so I'm going to ask about these white spots to help me decide. I'm under the impression they aren't going to go away by polishing on them (since I've already done that to some extent) but they also aren't very visible unless you're close to the pieces and looking for them. That said, I also don't want to reassemble them only to take them all back apart in a few years to have them rechromed.

Another issue I have is finding a good shop that will do a good job and not keep them for four months or lose them. So there's three options: Figure out some way to polish the spots out, just do my best and ignore them or disassemble the frames and get them rechromed. What would you do?

And how much should I expect to spend to have them redone.

Ghoste

Those spots are pits in the chrome so I don't think you'll polish them out.

bull

That's what I was afraid of. Since there are no actual caverns in the metal can they just be stripped and replated?

Ghoste

bull

What's odd is I can't see it unless I look very carefully. Based on the first pic I posted you'd think the piece is shot but the camera made it look 10 times worse than it really is.

ws23rt

This is one of those tough calls.  The parts look very good for their age. The risk and expense of making them that extra 5% better is yours.

I've been confronted with this sort of thing many times and since I never looked forward to first class competition I would put it together and move on.

To be stalled like this can tend to make the project last much longer that expected. :Twocents:

A383Wing

have you tried to use a SOS pad on spots?

bull

Quote from: ws23rt on March 01, 2014, 07:06:28 PM
This is one of those tough calls.  The parts look very good for their age. The risk and expense of making them that extra 5% better is yours.

I've been confronted with this sort of thing many times and since I never looked forward to first class competition I would put it together and move on.

To be stalled like this can tend to make the project last much longer that expected. :Twocents:

Agreed.

Quote from: A383Wing on March 01, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

Yes but I haven't gone crazy on it... yet. A coworker gave me some chrome polish to try and it really brightened up the good chrome but didn't do much with the spots.

If I wasn't afraid of the chrome shop crap shoot game so many people have been burned on I'd be more apt to have them restored

ws23rt

Quote from: bull on March 01, 2014, 07:53:47 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on March 01, 2014, 07:06:28 PM

Agreed.

Quote from: A383Wing on March 01, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

Yes but I haven't gone crazy on it... yet. A coworker gave me some xhrome polish to try and it really brightened up the good chrome but didn't do much with the spots.

If I wasn't afraid of the chrome shop crap shoot game so many people have been burned on I'd be more apt to have them restored

The spots are holes in the chrome and polishing holes goes nowhere.  Also any steel wool will add scratches so only the finest should be uses (000 or 0000x) polishes intended for chrome tend to be finer and a safer way to go.

Cooter

I believe those pieces are Pot Metal. Get ready to grab your ankles.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

This would be a good time for a chemist to chime in.  Since corrosion from below causes the holes to grow (like pot holes on pavement) is there a treatment to stop the corrosion like there is for rust?

I also need a similar treatment for my personal corrosion--aging  :lol:

ws23rt

Quote from: Cooter on March 01, 2014, 08:14:25 PM
I believe those pieces are Pot Metal. Get ready to grab your ankles.

Please Cooter--don't tell me that I may be made of something like pot metal :eek2:

Cooter

Pot metal Repair is VERY TIME consuming. Have to drill and fill EVERY SINGLE pit. This is why Most of my cars. these pieces are pitted.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

I've heard about the pit filling process from back in the day before console top sets were being repopped. There's a place down in LA I've been referred to called Faith Plating so I'll call them on Monday and ask about the spots and their experience rechroming die cast parts. If it's going to require drilling and filling it ain't going to get done because i'm not going to pay the amount it would cost to do it.

It's my assumption that since the parts don't have any "topography" yet (the pits have not progressed to the point of pushing up on the plating) so they may not need to be drilled and filled. That's just an assumption though. :shruggy:

I don't want to start another meltdown conversation about reproduction parts but these frames would seem to be a good candidate since they're not Charger-specific. There have been other similar parts done in die cast (like console plates, tail light housings and bezels) so it might be on someone's to-do list. I'm not holding my breath though.

Quote from: ws23rt on March 01, 2014, 08:06:58 PM

The spots are holes in the chrome and polishing holes goes nowhere.  Also any steel wool will add scratches so only the finest should be uses (000 or 0000x) polishes intended for chrome tend to be finer and a safer way to go.

Yes, I'm using 0000 steel wool and chrome-specific polish.

jaak

bull,
Mine look exactly like yours in the pic. They are small pits, and will not polish out (in fact, my vinyl top check mark trim looks the same way too). The only fix is to rechrome it. I did as you did, 000 steel wool and chrome polish because it wasn't in my budget to rechrome. And to be honest with you when my car is outside and the sun is reflecting off them, it is not that noticeable from a few feet away, and I have never had one person criticize me about even if they did notice it.

Jason

bill440rt

Right. The specks aren't going to be erased by a magic polish or steel wool.
The good news is that they haven't developed into full bore pits yet so the tedious task of drilling/filling should not apply. I had a set which looked very similar to yours done by a local chrome plater and they turned out great. They were able to remove the old chrome, and triple plate them while retaining that crease quite well. I plan on having the ones done in my '68 as well, & I have a spare set all in very similar to the way yours look, Curtis. I'm not sure whether to have the spare set done, or remove the ones that are still in the car and do them instead. I think they were about $250-300 each to have done at the time, around 2008? That was the complete vent window, pivots, handles, and all.
In chrome plating the copper step is used to fill, since those are not all out pits they are very good candidates and the copper process should take care of that.

If you want to experiment first with repros, PG Classics offers repro pot metal vent window posts.  :2thumbs:
http://www.pgclassic.com/product_info.php?products_id=1419
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

I hate to "experiment" with $355 but that might not be a bad gamble considering the price.

Thanks for the link! :2thumbs: I was just wondering above if someone was going to repop these. I don't suppose they have the wing window bases too? :shruggy:

I see Classic Industries has them too: http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mb280967.html

Patronus

I put some time into searching out a replacement for my one bad side and got lucky. Between these and the chrome for the top of the doors makes me want to hoard every example I can find.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bull

The posts, vent window frames/handles and pivot assemblies went off to the chrome shop today. I found a local shop that came with a couple of good recommendations from guys who've done work for me, and have had work done by this shop. The bad news is the guy is backed up 4-6 weeks.

I hate dropping parts off like this but it has to be done. At one point during the restoration I had the car at the body shop, the engine at the machine shop and the trans at my friend's tranny shop. I prefer the car in one piece and tucked safely inside the garage. Except, of course, when I'm out on the street thrashing it. :icon_smile_big:

Moparparts

I think in the long run you will be happy you got them rechromed. Once you would have them in as they are and they start getting worse down the road you will wish you had them done if your car is painted and you have to take your doors back apart i have heard this from quite a few guys already. Another issue is the price for rechroming keeps going up and up so its not going to get any cheaper better to get them done now IMO

Quote from: bull on March 06, 2014, 11:29:23 PM
The posts, vent window frames/handles and pivot assemblies went off to the chrome shop today. I found a local shop that came with a couple of good recommendations from guys who've done work for me, and have had work done by this shop. The bad news is the guy is backed up 4-6 weeks.

I hate dropping parts off like this but it has to be done. At one point during the restoration I had the car at the body shop, the engine at the machine shop and the trans at my friend's tranny shop. I prefer the car in one piece and tucked safely inside the garage. Except, of course, when I'm out on the street thrashing it. :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: Moparparts on March 06, 2014, 11:56:44 PM
I think in the long run you will be happy you got them rechromed. Once you would have them in as they are and they start getting worse down the road you will wish you had them done if your car is painted and you have to take your doors back apart i have heard this from quite a few guys already. Another issue is the price for rechroming keeps going up and up so its not going to get any cheaper better to get them done now IMO.

I think you're right. I do want the car to look nice but more than that I want to save labor and make the restoration last. This should ensure I'll never be taking the doors apart again. That and I was quoted a price to rechrome all the parts that was less than a new pair of posts.