News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW 78 440 727 truck motor and tranny

Started by hawkeye, March 18, 2014, 10:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye

Have a chance to buy 78 440 truck motor with 727 tranny.  Both have been rebuilt within the last 20k miles and work good.  Looking for something reliable, not wild ass for a 68 charger.   Figured I could just put new cam, carb and manifold and have something that would work.   Guy wants 1K, I offered $750.  Any thoughts?

Cooter

Low compression. Be careful on cam choice. That engine was rated at 255 hp.
a 318 makes almost as much.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparsr2fast

See if you can verify what parts went into the motor. They may have bored/honed the block and used decent pistons. Can't beat the price otherwise  :2thumbs:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Daytona R/T SE

The original 440 truck exhaust manifolds have value to the truck guys. :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

Depending on what kind of truck it came from, the transmission might have a tailshaft/housing that isn't usable in a car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hawkeye

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 18, 2014, 12:55:24 PM

Depending on what kind of truck it came from, the transmission might have a tailshaft/housing that isn't usable in a car.
Can you just swap the tailshaft/housing from a car 727 or is there more to it?

cudaken

Have you heard the engine run? I like the fact it has 20,000 miles on it, normally if they are rebuild wrong they go boom in the first 5,000 miles.

If you where to install the steel shim head gasket and have the heads shaved you could get compression up to a round 8 to 1. Set the ignition up right, stock magnum cam, (degree in), headers or magnum exhaust manifolds good mid range intake and 650 Holley you will have a easy to drive and fun 440.

If I knew where it was, I jump on it.  :lol:

Cuda Ken
I am back

tcs69rt

Last summer I picked up the same year motor and trans for $800 in Denver, they wanted $1200. That price seems to be in the ball park, Good Luck!  TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

John_Kunkel

Quote from: hawkeye on March 18, 2014, 01:11:52 PM
Can you just swap the tailshaft/housing from a car 727 or is there more to it?

Yes, but it requires complete disassembly. If you're gonna take it that far down might as well overhaul it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.