News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RM23VOA162351 in Hemmings MM

Started by Redbird, March 01, 2014, 01:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbird

There is a nice tech article in Hemmings MM in the 4/14 issue on disassembling a Daytona. Then there is a sidebar about Superbird RM23VOA162351.

The jest to the sidebar that they present is that they say major parts of the body of the Superbird were not original to the car. I have never seen the car so I'll take what they say about the car for face value. They do make a statement about the radiator support and the serial number not being there, and grinding marks being there. The car seems to have been repainted before in the past. Since many Superbirds do not have serial numbers on the radiator support, on this car it could not have been there from the start, and the grinding marks from the DA just took off the old paint.

It seems to me if Hemmings MM wants to be a reliable source they should show all the details. Serial # on the trunk lip? Details on the radiator support?

Maybe a Chevy shop was restoring the cars.

The proper lesson which they bring up is "Be careful what you buy on the interweb!"

C5X DAYTONA

That is Panama Pete's old bird..  As in every restoration.   DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.    Pete purchased that car in the mid 70s and ran it into the ground before putting it out to pasture.   Pete has photos of the car when he purchased it in the mid 70s.    IIRC Pete said he purchased it in Tennessee.    The car has a fair amount of rust but is repairable.  Hopefully if it's a "Chevy Shop" they don't paint the engine bay black.  
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

C5X DAYTONA

Another shot.   The rear clip of this car is/was very rough.  I have not seen the car since I took these photos 13 years ago.

Ghoste

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on March 01, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
 Pete purchased that car in the mid 70s and ran it into the ground before putting it out to pasture.   Pete has photos of the car when he purchased it in the mid 70s.    IIRC Pete said he purchased it in Tennessee.    The car has a fair amount of rust but is repairable.  Hopefully if it's a "Chevy Shop" they don't paint the engine bay black.  

Compared to Pete's green Superbird, the orange one was almost rust free.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Aero426 on March 02, 2014, 05:43:23 PM
Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on March 01, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
 Pete purchased that car in the mid 70s and ran it into the ground before putting it out to pasture.   Pete has photos of the car when he purchased it in the mid 70s.    IIRC Pete said he purchased it in Tennessee.    The car has a fair amount of rust but is repairable.  Hopefully if it's a "Chevy Shop" they don't paint the engine bay black.  

Compared to Pete's green Superbird, the orange one was almost rust free.
Yep.  Too funny.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 02, 2014, 04:08:06 AM
http://www.americancarcollector.com/auctions/1970-plymouth-superbird_213122
Right on,  Article says is was pro wrestler John Cena's.    I didn't know that it was the same car till now.   Thanks for posting..