News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 roadrunner knock noise when driving ?

Started by 70phoenix, February 12, 2014, 07:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70phoenix

I'm working on a 70 roadrunner, 440 727 automatic, 8 3/4 rear.  I'm just getting the car back together.  I just went and drove it down the street and at in town speeds it has a aggressive knocking noise.  When I slow down 5 mph or less it goes away.  I can put it in park and rev it up and it doesn't make the noise. So it shouldn't be in the motor.  It has new u joints and I just went through the rearend. The transmission seems to be working normal as well.  Any ideas ?

cudaken

First thing I would check is bell housing and flex plate bolts. Around 30 years ago my 68 Road Runner started knocking and I thought it was a rod. While I was pulling the motor, I found the bell housing bolts had backed out. :shruggy: Tighten everything back up, knock was gone.

I still have the Road Runner I will add.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

As Ken mentioned ; the converter bolts could be loose. When thry back off a bit the noise is nasty as the bolts hit the block.  :no: :eek2: :lol:

If they are loose i would retighten and add some loctite to the threads.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

I am back

SRT-440

I agree with the converter bolts...I too have a 70 RR and had the wrong sized bolts. Changed them and prob was gone.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1974dodgecharger

Are you in Phoenix?

Mine knocks on cold mornings then warms up its gone, I'm thinking piston slap.