News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top bubble

Started by fireguyfire, February 07, 2014, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

I installed a legendary interiors vinyl top on my car last fall, and I was very careful to fully coat both surfaces with the spray super vinyl top adhesive.
I have 1 bubble that is not stuck well; if I roll it down with my wooden roller it stays down overnight, but then bubbles again.
Is there an easy way to fix this little bubble, or do I need to have a pro deal with it?
Anybody on here fixed one themselves?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

AKcharger

Hi FGF

Well problem you're going to have is finding an "expert" anymore is going to prove challenging, not many of the m around and you're more likely to find people that will "give it a try" and do the same job as you could do your self. A picture of the bubble would help but here's what I suggest:

Find a friend in the medical field and get the biggest needle you can find...10-12ga. would work well.
1)Use the needle to inject the glue into the bubble
2) Press down bubble and keep pressure on it with wood block and weights if on flat surface or wood block and something leaning on it is it's on the side

CAUTION- this can get messy as the glue is thick and the risk of accident spray is high...use extreme caution

CAUTION- Any glue can be cleaned off with mineral sprit type solvents BUT too much solvent or rubbing will strip the dye off the vinyl!

twodko

What AK said. I also urge using a needle, never a razor slit no matter how small. It will open open up.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

DodgeR/T

i had the same happen to me using a MCO Motor City Originals ( out of business ) vinyl top but it can happen with anyones top. sometimes you can poke a hole with a sewing needle and let out the trapped air/solvent but on yours since its been awhile it probably separated - the plastic vinyl from the linen backing material. your linen backing is glued but the vinyl is not sealed to the linen backing.then again you can inject a small amount of thin runny contact cement with a hypo needle. just be careful and press very lightly as the grain will be lost if you press too hard and leave a shiney smooth spot. the factory shop manual (body) has a section on this. clean up with your cotton wrapped t shirt finger first before using the solvent if it gets messy.

fy469rtse

I had the se but in a big way with one of my cars , but it was in summer , top hadnt been on long , and i pushed her out in the sun and light for window guy to do his thang,
top ballowned like you expect, i guess all the solvents trapped under vinyl , pushed it down , smoothed it out , ? similar to that
never had a problem with it again