News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Roll pin in the wing window stud

Started by bull, February 05, 2014, 08:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I broke the wing window roll pin (vent window for you city boys?) trying to take it out of the stud so I drilled the hole out to put a new one in. But then while I was assembling and testing the driver side I got to wondering why the roll pin is even there. It's not like it's keeping anything from falling out and the rubber seals prevent the glass from opening too far. If it doesn't really need to be there why risk breaking the pot metal hammering it back in? :shruggy:

oldgold69

it keeps your  window in the frame   without the pin  you can take or break the screw out of the top hinge and the window can be removsd

bull

bill440rt

The roll pin serves two purposes. It keeps the window channel in the frame like oldgold mentioned. Remove the phillips screw at the pivot and it can be lifted out. Hardly an "anti-theft" measure, these cars are easy enough to break into.
It also doubles as the window stop. The pin hits that little stop in the housing, it just doesn't rely on the gasket.
If it's broken it's easy enough to drill it out & install another one.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

I've already drilled it out and had a new roll pin in it yesterday. I just didn't think there was enough benefit to putting it back in consdering the risk of breaking that pot metal stud.

dual fours

Quote from: bull on February 06, 2014, 08:29:38 PM
I've already drilled it out and had a new roll pin in it yesterday. I just didn't think there was enough benefit to putting it back in consdering the risk of breaking that pot metal stud.
A question please, for my future reference, why would you drill out the roll pin when they are push though?
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

oldgold69

just epoxy it in  should last a while   bill is right about the stop   I know its no anti theft device   those studs were tuff

bull

Quote from: dual fours on February 06, 2014, 08:43:12 PM
Quote from: bull on February 06, 2014, 08:29:38 PM
A question please, for my future reference, why would you drill out the roll pin when they are push though?

It's not push through. The hole only goes in about half way. The only way to get it out is to grab it with pliars and try twisting it out. Of course it's a 46-year-old roll pin so it snaps pretty easily.

dual fours

Thanks it's nice to know what to look for before you try something and then say "OH, I see how it was supposed to go!" 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG