News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tire Clearance Problem

Started by 69bananabeast, August 02, 2006, 11:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

Well I prayed to the Racing gods today that my tires would fit though it seems they are not in my favor.   295/65's  BFG Drag radials  (just rear tires) are a little close for comfort to the fender wells.  in the back theres about an 1 1/2'' -  2" space and a t the top and front there is about 3/4" space before the tire touches the lip on either side.  Also keep in mind that the tires are not sitting  on the ground and are about 3/4'' up .     15 x 8.5 wheels 

So what im asking is  can I make these fit? and what would i have to do. I have been told that I can bend that lip (though I really dont want to )  give the rear end a 2-3" lift?
or try to sell the tires and buy smaller ones?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Wakko

You can roll the lip.  Jam a baseball bat between the fender and tire and creep the car forward, gently bending the lip up.   Some people say that it's a butch way to do it, but I disagree.  I didn't want to do it that way to my Buick and so when I brought it to the body shop I asked them to do it...and voila, they dug out the baseball bat.

They DO sell a wheel lip roller though, eastwood and others I think.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

I used to have a good pic of Dick Landy taking the baseball bat to one of his cars although I'm sure he wasn't to concerned about not wrinling up the 1/4 panel. ;D

471_Magnum

Don't think the lip is the problem. It's probably the outer wheel house. That can be massaged as well.

Those tire are really too dang big though. Anything over 29" creates problems on a second gen.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Wakko

471, that pic in your sig is a great shot...I love the look of your car. :yesnod:
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

69bananabeast

now im thinking about selling the tires and getting say 285/60's .   Safety is first to me and  i am resposnsible for whoever rides with me as well.  I look at it now as though a tire is like a glove, if it doesnt fit it doesnt fit.  If I lifted the rearend it might give me the extra room it might not .  I would also be loosing some handling as well as weight transfer.

thanks for the help though guys
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)