News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with raising kid(s)

Started by PocketThunder, March 03, 2006, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nh_mopar_fan

It doesn't get any easier.

How's that for words of encouragement.

my73charger

Man my dad had a way of unbuckling his belt and yanking it off his waist that would snap a fly out of mid air....It was always time to walk away clean when that happen... :scared:

bull

At 14 months I'd say it's a little too early to expect a whole lot of obedience. But they still need to lay some ground rules and stick to them. Meanwhile, pack up all the breakables and store them iin the attic for 10 years or so.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: bull on March 08, 2006, 04:38:23 PM
At 14 months I'd say it's a little too early to expect a whole lot of obedience. But they still need to lay some ground rules and stick to them. Meanwhile, pack up all the breakables and store them iin the attic for 20 years or so.

Even the best kids can end up with sh**ty friends.  :yesnod:

One of my friends back in junior high got into stealing, and not only did take my stuff, he even stole from my parents.  :icon_smile_angry:

My parents would have gone to his mom about it, but she had a nice little coke habit she was hard at work on.  ::)
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

69_500

Hey Pocket, I had the same things at time with my son. He just turned 2 in October. Yeah boys will be boys. He would listen if I raised my voice to him when he was around 14 months. However after a few more months the raised voice or stern "NO" did nothing to him. With him a threat of a spanking is enough to deter him 95% of the time. Its funny because I can only recall spanking him 3 or 4 times ever. But he doesn't forget what it was like. Now if he does something that we don't know about he will come tell us, and then he always asks if he is going to get a spanking?
Kids will be kids, I can't stand it though when you go out shopping and see kids just telling their parents NO, or yelling at their parents. What we lack in this country is respect. Respect is earned not a given. If you don't earn your childs respect, and they respect your authority then to me you've lost.

Drop Top

I rasied 4, 2 boys and 2 grils. All 4 were a year apart. 2 where mine and 2 where my wife's. Mine where the oldest and the youngest. Basicly we had to treat them all differant. But by the same rules. My oldest daughter and her oldest son was the most head strong. We did everything to warning first, then time out. With these two what worked the best was the hand to butt then method, fallowed to the room for awile. With her youngest all we had to do was tell her no or give her that look when she new she was worng and she would start to cry. We never had to lay a hand on her at all. My son witch was the youngest was right inbetween. I did use my hand on him once in awile but not as much as the older two, he still is the one that asks for my opion on life and sutch. The oldest son was probly the worst. But only because the Grandparents got in the way. Grandpas gone now, But, now the Grandma tells me they did wrong by steping in. Thanks grandparents for all your help! He was the slowest one to grow up. Now that he's almost 28. He has a decent job and girlfriend. He just might make it yet. I hope. At least he stayed out off jail.

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: formula_440 on March 08, 2006, 06:18:13 PM

Even the best kids can end up with sh**ty friends.  :yesnod:

One of my friends back in junior high got into stealing, and not only did take my stuff, he even stole from my parents.  :icon_smile_angry:

My parents would have gone to his mom about it, but she had a nice little coke habit she was hard at work on.  ::)

I Can relate to that, All of my friends are recovering felons, I have had one speeding ticket in my life and they steal cars, get in fights and Steal from their friends, But man are they fun to hang around! ;D

No seriously Pocket,

Most people's advice is great, and me not being a father, I guess all I will say is good luck and When me and My wife decide it's time, I'll be asking advice from what you've learned! ;)

Good Luck!

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

ITSA426

Thunder, the best thing seems to be consistency.  Once they know the rules, don't change them.  Discipline is teaching, not punishment.  

Kids always push the limits, but they want, and need, boundaries.  You're the parent not their pal.  They'll have enough friends as they grow up but only one set of parents.  

You might try lowering your voice to get his attention.  I've seen it work great on toddlers.  It saves a lot of wear and tear on you and your bride.  At 14 months, if he's mobile, you might try making a game out of picking up after himself and keeping things neat.  It seems like fun but starts to teach responsibility.  If he needs to explore take him someplace where it's safe to do that (playlands, etc.)

Parenting is not for lightweights.  Always let them know that saying "no" isn't saying "I don't love you."  Even when you're angry remind him that he's loved.

Try patience and prayer.

Hope it helps - Lee