News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headlights glitch

Started by fireguyfire, February 02, 2014, 01:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

I have troubleshot my entire car now for electrical problems after a full rotisserie resto, and the only glitch I have left to solve is that my headlights are not working. I am guessing it might be the floor dimmer switch as it is an old one, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I have good power from the headlight switch down to the dimmer (green wire) but both wires that lead from the dimmer through the firewall and to the front of the car ( red wire and purple wire) are live as well with the dimmer switch on or off; is this supposed to be? I would have maybe thought maybe one wire hot for low beams, and 2 hot for high or something like that?
I have power from both of those wires to the connector behind the battery (then I called it a night). I know that the headlight harness needs to be well grounded to the rad support (2 black wires on one connector); maybe I need to remove the fresh paint under the connector to get a good ground?
Any suggestions on how to continue to trouble shoot the headlights?

Thanks for the help guys! I should be firing this baby up in the next couple of days.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

Plumcrazy

Replace the dimmer switch. 

Also make sure that you remove enough paint anyplace a ground wire attaches to sheet metal.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

ODZKing

:iagree: They are inexpensive at NAPA.
Quote from: Plumcrazy on February 02, 2014, 09:19:45 AM
Replace the dimmer switch. 

Also make sure that you remove enough paint anyplace a ground wire attaches to sheet metal.

fireguyfire

Ill replace it tomorrow and see what happens.
Is the dimmer switch itself a ground? I have mine on top of my dynamat so other than the attachment screws it is not contacting the floor pan.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

Plumcrazy

Quote from: fireguyfire on February 02, 2014, 12:13:25 PM
Ill replace it tomorrow and see what happens.
Is the dimmer switch itself a ground? I have mine on top of my dynamat so other than the attachment screws it is not contacting the floor pan.

The switch itself does not need to be grounded.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

fireguyfire

good to know; I did more trouble shooting today and I have power to all of the headlights (red) and I ran another ground from the 2 ground wires on the rad support down to the frame, so I know the ground is not an issue.
I'm going to replace the dimmer switch anyway, but since I'm getting power to the lights, is it likely this is the problem?
Could it be I have bad headlights? (I bought the car disassembled, so I dont know if they were working before).
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

cdr

IF YOU HAVE POWER & GROUND the bulbs must be bad.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fireguyfire

Man; what a pain, but I am making progress.
I changed out the foot dimmer and retested the leads; the red wires are hot at the headlights. I took a jumper wire and grounded one headlight from the ground (black) terminal to the frame, and lo and behold the light went on, so I knew I had a ground issue.
SO; I cleaned up the ground on the rad support much better, and ran the screw in and out a few times to make sure there was no more paint in the threads and hopefully this would give me a good ground. Connect everything up and power it up, and I have all 4 lights on with high beams on, and only 2 lights on with low. Sounds great right?
Well, I noticed that inside the sealed beam of 1 light that it was "smoking" slightly, and then burnt out, and then another one started to smoke inside the sealed unit as well, but did not burn out before I disconnected the battery.
Anyone got any ideas what my new issue is? (I've never had so many headlight issues before).
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

Dino

Quote from: fireguyfire on February 04, 2014, 01:48:09 AM
Man; what a pain, but I am making progress.
I changed out the foot dimmer and retested the leads; the red wires are hot at the headlights. I took a jumper wire and grounded one headlight from the ground (black) terminal to the frame, and lo and behold the light went on, so I knew I had a ground issue.
SO; I cleaned up the ground on the rad support much better, and ran the screw in and out a few times to make sure there was no more paint in the threads and hopefully this would give me a good ground. Connect everything up and power it up, and I have all 4 lights on with high beams on, and only 2 lights on with low. Sounds great right?
Well, I noticed that inside the sealed beam of 1 light that it was "smoking" slightly, and then burnt out, and then another one started to smoke inside the sealed unit as well, but did not burn out before I disconnected the battery.
Anyone got any ideas what my new issue is? (I've never had so many headlight issues before).

You did replace the old sealed beams right?  If not, get yourself a set of halogens.  Measure the voltage at the wires before you hook up the lights. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fireguyfire

As always you guys were right on the money; changed out the headlights for new halogens and they are burning bright!
Thanks for the help boys and girls.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent