News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 before startup-cant get oil pressure

Started by Dodgerdallas, January 11, 2014, 03:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Finally got it to the point of initial startup and the instructions say turn it over w the plugs out and once the pressure shows on the gauge go another two minutes to prime the engine,the problem is Ive turned it over and cant get any oil to move,ive taken the filter off and turned it over,nothing comes out.Ive got a mini starter on and it seems to turn a bit slow,would this possibly be the problem? It doesn't want to pick up and I getting a little concerned about turning it over so much w no oil up top,should I invest in a oil primer??
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

2Luke2

I would definitely recommend a primer rod. They are very cheap opposed to ruining some bearings. It would be easier to troubleshoot your oil problem as well I would think.

Did you try a mech gauge or are you just relying on the dash one?

Dodgerdallas

No I have a mech gauge,I cant see the oil travelling up the line as someone turns it over

2Luke2

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on January 11, 2014, 03:22:48 PM
No I have a mech gauge,I cant see the oil travelling up the line as someone turns it over

I would definitely try priming it first to see if you can get a reading. Also you might want to retrace your steps to make sure you remembered all the galley plugs. We personally forgot the one under the cam and it was giving us no oil pressure when trying to prim. We had to take the whole front of the engine apart for it... after that it worked like a charm.

Edit: Also make sure to remember to turn the drill counter clockwise.

Dodgerdallas

I just ordered a primer from summit,gonna be next week though. S&J engines put it together and ran it on a simtest
Machine so I don't think it would be a blocked galley - I really think I need the added speed of a primer to start the pickup but I guess I'll be waiting huh ?

2Luke2

Yea, too bad you couldn't get one or make one locally. I hate waiting when you're so close to first startup, but I would definitely find it worth the wait. If you were local I would just let you barrow mine.

By the way I wasn't talking about a blocked galley, but a galley plug missing. The one I'm referring to is under and to the left of where the crankshaft goes in. Engine has to be flipped upside down to see it really. It wouldn't block anything, but just let the oil flow right back into the oil pan and not give you enough pressure to read on the gauge.

Dodgerdallas

Do u think they would have allowed that needing the oil pressure during the sim test ?

cdr

Quote from: 2Luke2 on January 11, 2014, 03:52:53 PM
Yea, too bad you couldn't get one or make one locally. I hate waiting when you're so close to first startup, but I would definitely find it worth the wait. If you were local I would just let you barrow mine.

By the way I wasn't talking about a blocked galley, but a galley plug missing. The one I'm referring to is under and to the left of where the crankshaft goes in. Engine has to be flipped upside down to see it really. It wouldn't block anything, but just let the oil flow right back into the oil pan and not give you enough pressure to read on the gauge.

it would still fill the filter
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dodgerdallas

Ok guess nothings left but the wait -thanks

2Luke2

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on January 11, 2014, 04:05:18 PM
Do u think they would have allowed that needing the oil pressure during the sim test ?

I would hope not, but hard to say these days. Seems like unless you meet people like Ron here on the forums you never know what you're getting. That's why we try to do as much as possible ourselves.

BSB67

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on January 11, 2014, 04:19:15 PM
Ok guess nothings left but the wait -thanks

Some 5 gallon drill operated paint mixers have the right size hex shaft.  Just cut off the end.  You can get them at Box stores or paint stores.  FWIW. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Dodgerdallas

Took a 6'' 5/16 allen wrench and cut off the curve, placed it in a 8mm 1/4'' deep socket (fit perfect in the brass sleeve w some oil) and used an extention and cordless drill-still didn't pick it up so I changed to an old craftsman electric drill that turns much faster,picked it up immediately and I had 70lbs at the gauge my wife said! So that's the shadetree deal,long 5/16 allen and a fast drill.

ottawamerc

I just used my old intermediate shaft and ground off the teeth then cut an old flat head screwdriver and voila! primer setup. The paint mixer is an awesome idea but I would be nervous of the allen wrench socket one, my luck it would fall apart  in the engine :RantExplode: Oh well the good part of that is you would be able to "double" check that oil galley plug by the crank :smilielol: Glad to hear you finnally got it worked out Dodgerdallas

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

2Luke2

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on January 11, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
Took a 6'' 5/16 allen wrench and cut off the curve, placed it in a 8mm 1/4'' deep socket (fit perfect in the brass sleeve w some oil) and used an extention and cordless drill-still didn't pick it up so I changed to an old craftsman electric drill that turns much faster,picked it up immediately and I had 70lbs at the gauge my wife said! So that's the shadetree deal,long 5/16 allen and a fast drill.

Awesome! Glad to hear you got pressure! Hopefully you can cancel your order.

A383Wing

I made my own from 2 intermediate shafts...one from a small block, & one from a big block...took the gears off and welded them together....had hex on each end, one for oil pump, one for drill motor

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on January 11, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
,picked it up immediately and I had 70lbs at the gauge my wife said!

While the drill is running you should slowly turn the crank at least two full revolutions to ensure oil gets to the top end.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Well Dallas, do you have a romping stopping Mopar Yet?  :scratchchin:
I am back

Dodgerdallas

It's going ok , a little shaky but I'm working the bugs out-I'm thinking a vacuum leak.

Highbanked Hauler

I couldn't get oil pressure in my 440 when I tried to preoil it and the builder told me to take off the oil pump and coat the inside with Vaseline and it  pumped up instantly..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dodgerdallas

Sll u need is a primer tool and a fast drill-sucks it up in a heartbeat