News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark plug interval changes on a 440

Started by Bob T, December 29, 2013, 03:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

How often or how many miles do you guys do between changes??

68 440 HP2 750 Holley, I've done around 7000 miles and 2 years on these NGK BP5 S and they are well due...performance has been ok but just dropped a little recently and also after I put a new ignition system on.
I've got a dyno tomorrow so its change out time, #8 plug shown
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

John_Kunkel

Unleaded fuel? If they're not fouled by oil/rich mixture they should last a long, long time.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Back in the day when are cars where fresh, I think it was 30,000 miles.

Just looked at my 68 Road Runner Warranty information and scheduled maintenance. It ends at 36,000 miles and nothing is said about replacing plugs, covers all the other items that need to be replaced.

It all so stated to change the oil every 4000 miles, but filter only every other oil change?  :eek2:

Seems good old Dad took her in on time, thanks Dad.  :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Bob T

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 29, 2013, 05:14:16 PM

Unleaded fuel? If they're not fouled by oil/rich mixture they should last a long, long time.

Unleaded, yes, its what passes for either 95 or 98 octane here.
Ok, I thought the interval was shorter  :shruggy: , got a set today they were $4 a plug for ngk bp5 s, took it to a car guys funeral today,  will put them in tonight anyhow and examine the old ones
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Fred

I change mine once a year without fail. Regardless of their condition. Peace of mind.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Lord Warlock

When driving it, i'd probably replace plugs every 7500 miles or so, I like fresh plugs and they were fairly easy to change. Only drove it about 33000 miles back then.  its had the same plugs in it now for 20 years and it still runs fine.  NGK is a good brand of plug, they should last at least a year, If using the platinum plugs they're usually good for 50,000 per change, copper 10-15k or once a year should suffice.

I just ordered new plug wires, distributor cap and other motor parts, so I may crawl under and change the plugs out just for sanity's sake.  Everything else will be new, would suck to use old plugs with all new gear. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

myk

Because these cars are driven infrequently it's really up to you.  Periodically check your plugs and treat your car accordingly...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Bob T

Changed them out, black as and had a few deposits forming.
Forgotten how much fun it was to change them with 2" headers , took a while and left some skin in the engine bay..

Also fitted an inline fuel pressure guage tonight to see what the pump was doing, its running 6 1/2 lbs solid through the rev range so thats one more tick in the box.

So, on with the dyno tomorrow..
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

tan top

once you got the plugs out  , IMO you might as well  replace them ,  its difficult enough with castiron manifolds on a 440  ;D , for me   only #1 plug comes out from the top , all the rest come out from the bottom ,

good luck , looking forward to seeing & hearing about the the dyno adventure  :popcrn: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bob T

Quote from: tan top on December 30, 2013, 07:32:50 AM
once you got the plugs out  , IMO you might as well  replace them ,  its difficult enough with castiron manifolds on a 440  ;D , for me   only #1 plug comes out from the top , all the rest come out from the bottom ,

good luck , looking forward to seeing & hearing about the the dyno adventure  :popcrn: :cheers:

I did have an easy run then Tan, since they all came out topwise, albiet with some skin ha.

Good result with the dyno today, gained an extra 45 horses that had just been asleep in there  :2thumbs:
Will put up a new thread tomorrow, its new years eve and I'm having a few  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

myk

You picked up 45 rwhp from a plug change?

Ghoste

I change mine once a year which works out to two or three thousand miles.  Yes, huge overkill but they're cheap and I don't mind doing it.

Bob T

Quote from: myk on December 31, 2013, 02:05:42 AM

Plugs, carb adjustments and also the kickdown linkage was restricting the wide open throttle travel, but yes 45 rwhp, thats a good gain, the BFG's will be taking a hiding now  ;)
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

myk

Quote from: Bob T on December 31, 2013, 02:05:09 PM

Plugs, carb adjustments and also the kickdown linkage was restricting the wide open throttle travel, but yes 45 rwhp, thats a good gain, the BFG's will be taking a hiding now  ;)

Wow, that's something else.  I wonder how much power I and the rest of us are leaving on the table without a good tune...

Bob T

Quote from: myk on January 01, 2014, 03:16:58 AM
Quote from: Bob T on December 31, 2013, 02:05:09 PM

Wow, that's something else.  I wonder how much power I and the rest of us are leaving on the table without a good tune...

It was definitely worth the spend Myk  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

Bob T

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 01, 2014, 01:46:09 PM
Let's see those numbers Bob! :yesnod:

420crank ,280rwhp, 353 Torque, am fairly happy with that too  :2thumbs:
Easier to link it I guess, its over in Performance corner with a vid clip  :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,107245.0.html
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

RECHRGD

Bob, how is your Dyno shop figuring 168 hp loss?  That seems excessive to me.....
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Based on the plug's appearance the carb was jetted a bit rich. The chassis dyno tuning will help sort out the a/f curve and it looks like you picked up a nice power gain.  :2thumbs:

If you can keep the idle mix at 13.5-14.5 it will help keep the plugs cleaner and extend service life  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob T

Cheers Ron, we made some jet changes and put a softer spring in the secondary and it came up right on the money, pleased with the result, its a bit more lively now too, was out in it yesterday and let my Daytona driving buddy give it a shoe full, he was fairly impressed how it went  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.