News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Detroit's not the only city to be decimated by the loss of the auto industry

Started by bull, December 29, 2013, 03:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITSA426

Roger and Me seemed pretty intense at the time.  I can't imagine how tough it would be growing up in a city where there doesn't seem to be an opportunity for things to get better or to get out.  Too bad because the industry is such a part of American history.

bull

The good news is you could probably get 100 acres for about $100,000 and start a farm after razing a bunch of houses.

Troy

Quote from: bull on December 29, 2013, 07:21:10 PM
The good news is you could probably get 100 acres for about $100,000 and start a farm after razing a bunch of houses.
You guys on the coasts are funny. I've looked at a lot of land for $200-400 and acre and that doesn't require removal of buildings/houses, has cheaper taxes, and doesn't have wars being fought nearby. ;)

There were whole neighborhoods of homes being sold in Detroit for under $1,000 each with no interest. The sticking point was that you couldn't knock them down and build bigger (or make a farm). I guess no one wanted to actually live in them.

Not to mention, as long as you're in the city limits you're stuck with the city government.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargerboy69

Flint has been in rough shape for years.  Like its neighbor, Detroit, it has been run by corrupt government after corrupt government running the city into what resembles a third world country.  I drive through both cities at least twice a month for my work, I never leave home without my 1911 and two full magazines.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

hatersaurusrex

Last time I checked they had a pretty good minor league basketball team

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

The other problem in these towns is the lunch bucket culture has it so ingrained that there is nothing but factory work, the factories die and they waste years waiting for a good factory job to come back.  Then it becomes a coin toss to see whether future generations will break that mindset and start to create something new or go the route of countless others like Flint or Gary and sink into a ghetto zone.

Mike DC

The town existed because there were good jobs to be had.  Now there aren't.  Its time for people to leave.  Not much more to say. 

polywideblock

I'm surprised someone hasn't started buying blocks at a time and building "gated" communities like in south Africa ,lovely old houses, nice neighbourhoods, patrolled, well lit, CCTV on every corner  . the work from home using the computer mob would love it  :Twocents:  seems such a waste of those lovely old homes

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

Because its just what I said, either the lunch bucket mentality changes and they adapt to create new forms of income and employment or they sink into ghetto hood because they can't accept the easy times are gone.  There are some examples of industrial areas embracing something new and the old properties are rejuvenated.

polywideblock

they could learn from my home town referred to as "steel city" had BHP steel works since 1911  whole economy revolved around it ,employed  half the city (my old man 47 years )  closed its doors in 1999 . much gnashing of teeth etc.  .now we are a tourist mecha( as well as being the largest coal export port  in the world ) .you just have to move on   :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE