News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 charger electronic ignition

Started by jww426, December 20, 2013, 11:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jww426

Hello all you experts.
Im a new member and have finally bought my first charger. Why did it take me till 51 years of age? Hell if I know.
Is there an electronic ignition that looks like the factory brown one, but has a relocated box?
My car is a survivor and I want to keep it looking as such.
(66 Hemi.)
thanks!
JWW
JWWIV

ODZKing

Welcome JWW.  I did the Mopar electronic system. Uses the original balast and all you have to replace is the VR with an non points style which are available in the original case.
I did mine and put the ECU under the horns so you really have to look for it. (below) But I have seen guys put them under the battery tray.
Either way, mine works just fine.
http://www.retrorarities.com/EIconversion.htm for reference

firefighter3931

Welcome Jww.....congrats on your new ride.  :2thumbs:

The early Chargers never came with electronic ignition so if you want to do a conversion there are a couple of options. Distributors are available with external and internal ECU's. The older MP kits came with an external box which in recent years became unreliable. Many documented cases of failed Mopar aftermarket ECU's.....especially the orange box which is now built overseas and is terrible quality.

The other option is a ready to run distributor with built-in ECU. No external box to worry about failing or mounting in the engine bay. The Firecore RTR distributor is available with a tan cap for that stock look under the hood. This is a high quality Billet aluminum piece with excellent performance & reliability.  :2thumbs:

Below is a pic of the RTR billet distributor installed in a members car. The one has the black HEI terminal cap but as stated above you can also get it with a tan cap.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

There is also the Pertronix unit which can be hidden inside the stock distributer but for the best quality FGirefighters advice is the way to go.

Ghoste

Oh, and welcome to the group and we'd love to see pix of your car.  Always nice to have another 1st gen around.

jww426

Great thanks to all!
JWWIV

jww426

Interior is all original.
I may repair the vinyl if its possible.
Paint is 80% original.
No rust of consequence, underside clean.
4 speed.
3:54 rear
drivetrain all rebuilt, dyno read 505 hp.
Any advice on proper preservation appreciated.
thanks
JWWIV

A383Wing

I know that car..came out of the Seattle-Tacoma area

Ghoste

That seat might prove hard to repair.  Nice car though!

ODZKing

I agree, for what you will probably pay to get that repaired and look right, get new covers from Legendary.

Bob T

Welcome, and well done on getting a car like that, you must be stoked.
Very sharp Gen I and a Hemi to boot in that sort of condition , what a score, enjoy it.  :cheers:
Funny enough, a guy I know out here has just imported a 66 Hemi Charger as well, I haven't seen it yet, but quite looking forward to it.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

jww426

Senor Hemi needs a little love in places, but Ill preserve him as best I can.
JWWIV