News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to paint a Daytona Wing??

Started by Moparpoolman, September 14, 2013, 03:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparpoolman

Hi Guys, What would be the best way to paint a Daytona Wing?  Should it be painted together or in pieces?  I don't think it has ever been apart, does the hex bolt holding the top to the sides come out fairly easy or can it break/snap in the wing?  Are there any tricks to taking them apart? Thank You and looking forward to your responses

69_500

Well they were painted assembled as far as I know. So if your going for original look paint it assembled.

A383Wing

I had mine painted in 3 pieces.....the bolt came out easy..which surprised me since the wing sat for over 20 years all together

moparstuart

mine was painted in three pieces  , oh and its a bird wing
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Moparpoolman

Thanks for the responses.  I'm leaning toward taking it apart to paint.  Just wondering, has anyone broke the bolt holding the wing together or know of anyone that has?  If so, what did they do to fix it?  Thanks

Moparpoolman

What paint products (primer/sealers and paint) should be used to properly paint an original aluminum wing to prevent any blistering in the future?  :shruggy: Thanks

mpd659

Hello,

You should be able to buy epoxy primer or self etch primer that can be applied over the bare aluminum, then just paint as normal. Check with your local paint supplier/store.

Russ

daytonalo

BLAST IT
WHITE OR EPOXY PRIMER
URETHANE SURFACER IF YOU WANT IT SUPER SMOOTH
BASE COAT
CLEAR COAT
NOTE , KEEP CLEAR TO A DUSTING OR MATING ENDS TO MINIMIZE POSSIBILTY OF CHIPPING

IF YOU WANT THE OEM , THIN PAINT KICK IT THE DOOR RESULT , IGNORE ABOVE ADVICE
Larry

mpd659

BLAST IT -It will warp aluminum

KEEP CLEAR TO A DUSTING OR MATING ENDS TO MINIMIZE POSSIBILTY OF CHIPPING-Then the sun will eat the clear if the clear is too thin (ever seen clear delamination of a vehicle, this is why)

Clear is never dusted on, a good paint job is on the verge of running, make it wet.

I have 20 years of painting experience and I have professional body shop experience.

Sorry Larry!!!! :coolgleamA:

daytonalo

GREAT  !! I SAID ONLY DUST CLEAR ON MATING SURFACES AS IF YOU MAKE ENDS SUPER WET THEY WILL CHIP EASIER WHEN BLADE IS BOLTED UP TIGHT OR BLADE IS MOVED . AS FAR AS BLASTING THE WING , WARP ???  THESE ARE HEAVY CAST , NOT A CHANCE . HOODS AND DECKLIDS YES . BLASTED 2 CARS LAST YEAR WITH 500 GAL PRESSURE POT AND TOW BEHIND DIESEL . BEEN BLASTING FOR 30 YEARS AND SURE COMMON SENSE IS NEEDED .

35 YEARS HERE AND YES WE DUMP CLEAR
ON AS WE BUZZ DOWN WITH 2000 AND BUFF . JUST SPENT 40 HOURS COLOR SANDING ON 575 FERRARI