News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I think I've found at least one thing I don't really like about my '68

Started by bull, March 25, 2008, 12:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

FYI I changed my mind on this issue after finally driving the 68 more than 900 yards. I like the steering wheel just fine. :2thumbs:

Dans 68

...and it only took a bit over 5 and a half years for this thread to come to a full (skinny) circle.  ;) 

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

It may have taken me longer than it should have but I'm happy to have (mostly) completed a task many people can't, won't or refuse to even attempt. :icon_smile_cool:

Dans 68

I was just "humorously" (I thought) referring to your steering wheel revelation.  ;)  And you are absolutely right about the entire project.  :2thumbs: 

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

A383Wing

I didn't like the thin wheel on my 70..so I wrapped it with one of them auto part wheel covers...

much better

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 01, 2013, 10:45:49 PM
I was just "humorously" (I thought) referring to your steering wheel revelation.  ;)  And you are absolutely right about the entire project.  :2thumbs: 

Dan

It's all good. I wasn't trying to call you out. :cheers:

While on the topic of steering wheels, I learned that apparently there aren't many alignment shops in my area that know how to align Mopar steering wheels. I mentioned this elsewhere but guys from two of the most respected alignment shops in town told me I need to pull the wheel and take a hacksaw to my deadlink so I can install the wheel wherever I want. After my $55 alignment was finished the wheel was still about 90-degrees off.

el dub

Don't know how much work you want to do but can't you disconnect the coupler from the gear, straighten the wheel and put it back on?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

bull

Quote from: el dub on December 02, 2013, 12:56:16 AM
Don't know how much work you want to do but can't you disconnect the coupler from the gear, straighten the wheel and put it back on?

There's a dead link there too. There is a procedure for aligning the wheel that involves the adjustment of the tie rod sleeves during the front end alignment process. Unfortunately I didn't know about it until after I left the shop. I don't feel too bad though since the alignment shops knew nothing about it either.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,105584.0.html

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on December 02, 2013, 01:16:14 AM
Quote from: el dub on December 02, 2013, 12:56:16 AM

There's a dead link there too. There is a procedure for aligning the wheel that involves the adjustment of the tie rod sleeves during the front end alignment process. Unfortunately I didn't know about it until after I left the shop. I don't feel too bad though since the alignment shops knew nothing about it either.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,105584.0.html

Bingo.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

6pkrtse

Quote from: bull on March 25, 2008, 12:06:09 AM
The steering wheel. It's too thin. Maybe I've gotten too used to the modern steering wheels that have some meat to them but whenever I grab the wheel in my '68 I start thinking of ways to make it fatter.

Anyone feel like posting pics of how they've done this, from covers to aftermarket wheels? Am I alone with this complaint?

I agree. on longer road trips my hands will cramp up sometimes holding on to the wheel once in awhile. I usually find myself two fingering it from one of the spokes.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Bob T

Mines got one of those black perforated vinyl covers with the black piping holding it together, it gives it more thickness and feels better on long trips than the previous 68 did. While its not my favorite wheel, its also the one that it left the factory with and all the previous owners that did the 100,000 miles in it got by just fine so I can too.

I do have some Bill Hickman type glasses though, real 60's vintage green Polaroid's,  they were my Fathers and they live in the console  ;)
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bull on December 01, 2013, 11:34:16 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on December 01, 2013, 10:45:49 PM
I was just "humorously" (I thought) referring to your steering wheel revelation.  ;)  And you are absolutely right about the entire project.  :2thumbs:  

Dan

It's all good. I wasn't trying to call you out. :cheers:

While on the topic of steering wheels, I learned that apparently there aren't many alignment shops in my area that know how to align Mopar steering wheels. I mentioned this elsewhere but guys from two of the most respected alignment shops in town told me I need to pull the wheel and take a hacksaw to my deadlink so I can install the wheel wherever I want. After my $55 alignment was finished the wheel was still about 90-degrees off.

I'm trying to follow what you are saying....and this topic was covered in several other threads as well....but I can't figure for sure where your problem  is coming from.    :shruggy:

I don't remember the exact way my steering gear, pitman, column, wheel, tie rod ends all went together, but the sequence was probably what my feeble brain could regurgitate at the time.

But if memory serves:
1.   Engine built on stand (like you did), steering gear was on the K Frame, with the front suspension on, but no tie rods yet.
2.   Dropped body over engine assy.
3.   Added front tires/wheels, torsion bars, set ride height.
4.   Put on Pitman arm....it's keyed to the gear shaft, right?......can only have one position.   :scratchchin:  Maybe not, I may have eyeballed it.
5.   With the gear shaft positioned with the key notch on the on top  :scratchchin: , install the steering column and the column shaft should be keyed to the gear shaft....I think.   :scratchchin:
6.   Inside the car, I think the column shaft is keyed so the steering wheel only goes on one way.
7.   With the steering wheel on and straight, and with the tires/wheels aligned by sight as much as possible, attach the tie rods and ends.

My garage eyeball alignment ended up really close, and on the first drive the steering wheel was straight and the car drove straight.   I considered not even taking it to the alignment shop.  But I did, and it was still straight when they got done.

:shruggy:

Where do you think you went wrong?   Or you had it straight and they made it crooked?

bull

After seeing some pics of my car prior to restoration I noticed the steering wheel was in a similar position to where it is now sothe mistake has been made before. Yes ther pitman arm can go on only one functional direction; same goes for the dead link in the steering shaft at both top and bottom. Anyway, when I put the front end back together I just centered the adjusting tubes and hoped for the best. Obviously, centered adjusting tubes does not always result in a centered steering wheel so now the wheel needs to be aligned by manipulating the two adjusting tubes on either side of the tie rod. Doing that while correcting the front end should make everything right.