News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing a windshield in a 68charger question?

Started by javakmcharger68, February 24, 2006, 08:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

How hard is it to put a new windshield into a 68 charger if you have the old windshield out, & you have a new rubber ready to install. It looks basic, but I wanted to ask. Thanks

69chargeryeehaa

it's not "hard" you just have to be careful.  i'd start with putting the rubber in the car, then opening up the channel to set the rubber seal back.  use something plastic to open up the channel.  don't use any sealent anywhere, nothing silicone to seal as it attacks the rubber seal.  clean up the channel and spray a liberal amount of silicone spray or even WD-40, use LOTS.  then put in the windshield starting at the bottom, place it in the grove, then start with a plastic tool like a knife, or get a peice of plexi glass and shape it into a knife like tool.  work your way from the bottom up and do equal steps on both sides working about 6" at a time.  the really big pain is the top corners, go really really slow and don't force anything.  it's really easy to crack the glass on the corners.  occasionally grab the windshield from the top and push down firmly, try not to twist it at all.  then once you manhandle the top corners, continue on the top, the major hurdle is the top corners since they come up farther and are hard to place in the channel.  once you have the window in the whole way all around the rubber, use the plastic tool to flip the channel in the rubber in, that holds the glass in place.  your done.   :yesnod:

58pwrwgn

You need a butyl type sealant between the gasket and the body, especially at the bottom.

Chargeraddict

Do you guys know if you can get a new rubber gasket for the front window?

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 58pwrwgn on February 26, 2006, 03:09:08 PM
You need a butyl type sealant between the gasket and the body, especially at the bottom.

i'm not sure that's really nessessary, i put no sealant at all in my 69 charger, it had the original seal which also had nothing.  the seal was still i excellant shape and still soft, so i cleaned and re-used it.  does'nt leak a drop. :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: Chargeraddict on February 26, 2006, 09:50:40 PM
Do you guys know if you can get a new rubber gasket for the front window?
Yes, you can get them at almost any parts vendor.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

javakmcharger68

So you can not just put the rubber seal on the window & then place it in the windshield mounting spot? Is it too big to fit that way? No sealer on the rubber would make the job less dirty. Thanks for the replies

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: javakmcharger68 on February 27, 2006, 06:52:17 AM
So you can not just put the rubber seal on the window & then place it in the windshield mounting spot? Is it too big to fit that way? No sealer on the rubber would make the job less dirty. Thanks for the replies

If you look closely at the rubber seal, it has a channel that you open up that in essance makes the seal smaller on the window side.  so you have to put the seal in the car first, then open the flap channel and pop it out which makes the seal smaller in essance, then put the window in the car, it has to be done in that order.  if the channel on the car is in good shape and clean, then there is no need for any sealant, if there is rust then it would be a good idea to use some sealant like 3M weatherstrip sealent, but don't use silicone sealents as they actually attack the rubber and over time will break it down.   :icon_smile_big:

sharpspike

had an installer come to my house and take mine out, then come back and put it in when i was ready. the he had to come back take it out and add the sealant. ( no charge ) if your not sure how to do it id have it done or at least use the sealant on the bottom.

they break it THEY buy it, you break it OUCH $$$$$$$.  :Twocents:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 58pwrwgn on February 26, 2006, 03:09:08 PM

:iagree:

I don't know about '69's, but my '68 had a ton of sealant holding the gasket, and I know that is the original windshield, and has never been dicked with.  It took me a whole evening to clear out the old stuff for the resto.

chargerbuck

I agree with sharpspike,plus you get a warrenty if it leeks :'(                                                                                                       

58pwrwgn

This is the sealant you need.