News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help identifying engine noise

Started by vick79, November 01, 2013, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vick79

Hey guys, So i hadnt driven my charger in a couple weeks and decided to fire it up today... It fired up right away, however I did hear a low quick squeal (like the sound of dragging a table across the floor) and i immediately noticed a strange soft "mechanical pumping sound" coming from the front of the engine. I took it for a spin around the neighbourhood, the motor runs strong and fine, but the soft pumping sound was still there. On the last couple turns home, i noticed a new noise sounded like a skreeching slipping belt, in additional to the pumping noise. I pulled into my garage and one by one took off Alt+AC belt = no change, Waterpump belt = no change, finally the PS belt = no change. Until it ran with no belts, and I still have the pumping noise and a slight squeal.

My oil pressure reading on the gauge is a bit unreliable, reads ~20 when idle, but ~40 when driving normally. Its a bit under 20 now idling. What do you think It could be before I start tearing into the engine?
'70 Charger RT

vick79

Well i guess its a bit tough identifying a noise... I took the front end of the engine apart today. Ruled out trans lines touching the crank, checked every part I took out (fuel pump, water pump, steering pump etc. which were all OK)... but found that the crank pulley bolts were loose-ish.. hmmm...and the harmonic balancer was touching the timing cover, and found disintegrated metal/rubber dush/oil mix around the timing cover. After i took harmonic balancer out, i found the rubber in it was dry and cracking and had moved out of place, causing the metal of the balancer to move back and hit my timing cover. There was no dents in the timing cover, timing chain etc looked ok inside.  Looks like its only my harmonic balancer that needs replacing, and not thrust bearings or anything else...  I think what happen is the loose crank pulley bolts threw the balancer out of wack due to vibration. :icon_smile_big:

'70 Charger RT

vick79

Could someone guide me to a spot where i can get a replacement balancer reasonably priced or get mine rebuilt? These things are immensely expensive, not in the mood the spend $300 right now.

I have a 70 Charger RT 440 4barrel.
'70 Charger RT

vick79

Ill just reply to my own threads in the hope it helps someone else out there.

Found out some twit installed the wrong balancer on my 440-4 whenever they had worked on it years ago, its a 6pack damper installed on a 4barrel. So I called damperdoctor.com who were very helpful and found the right part, getting it switched out.
'70 Charger RT