News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What a difference new wheels make. 70 R/T content inside

Started by JR, July 10, 2014, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

Quote from: Dreamcar on July 11, 2014, 07:47:11 AM
What are the backspacing and offset numbers for those wheels? Any rubbing issues?
what's going on with your car ? Saw it on ebay, ? Your not selling already are you

JR

Dino, I lost a wheel on an old pickup truck once when the lugs backed off, and have been cautious ever since of it happening again. 1/2 inch spacers would be absolutely perfect for these wheels, but I'd like to autoX this car some and am on the fence about adding them.

Myk, aren't your specs 18 x 8 with 4.5 backspace? Those will never rub as their a half inch further away from the inside wheel well. But you should have better handling with a square wheel setup.

I agree its a generational thing with the taste. I grew up idolizing road and rally racing, and spend the majority of my car hobby money doing trackdays with an E36. The Charger will never come close to performing as well as it does, but I like making it perform as well as I can.  The 70 will probably never see a full road course, but plenty of autocross and road rallys hopefully.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

myk

Quote from: Dino on July 12, 2014, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: myk on July 12, 2014, 03:13:35 PM
Dino you've got wheel rub?  That's strange-I should be getting it too, then.

JR, glad we could be of help-put up a picture of your car!

Yep, it rubs.  

I have 17x9.5 like the OP, don't you have 18" rims Myk?

Yes, I do.  Strange.  

Quote from: familymopar on July 13, 2014, 02:11:19 AM
myk, what size and offset/backspace are your wheels?  I took a look at the MB's as the price is right and I think they look good.  In the 18's I only saw 18x7 as the largest width.  I would like an 18x8 front and a 18x9.5 rear but it doesn't look like I can do it with these wheels....

My MB Old School's are 18x8 all around.  Backspacing is 4.5 up front and 5 in the back.  When I got these wheels back in November there was an 18x9.5" but in chrome only.  The sad thing is, it looks like my sizes aren't available any more.  Additionally, it doesn't look like many of the sizes are left, either in gunmetal or chrome, or 17" and 18" diameters.  Maybe you guys that are interested in these wheels can call up Discount Tire Direct and see if they're still available somehow...

familymopar

JR, I love the Welds but the MBs are very sharp and I think I actually prefer them.  I am sitting on 15" Radial T/A's and can not wait to be able to get some more modern rubber under there.  Unfortunately, as myk said, I think the sizes still available might be limited now.  Glad you got them while you could.  Looks great!

Quote from: myk on July 13, 2014, 09:39:51 AM
My MB Old School's are 18x8 all around.  Backspacing is 4.5 up front and 5 in the back.  When I got these wheels back in November there was an 18x9.5" but in chrome only.  The sad thing is, it looks like my sizes aren't available any more.  Additionally, it doesn't look like many of the sizes are left, either in gunmetal or chrome, or 17" and 18" diameters.  Maybe you guys that are interested in these wheels can call up Discount Tire Direct and see if they're still available somehow...

myk, the 18x8's look great.  What size tires are you running on those?

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

myk

255x50-18's.  I may have to get new wheels and tires again if I decide to stagger my wheels...

elanmars

Any of you guys using stock suspension/front end parts with these wheels? Spacers? Longer studs?
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

JR

Quote from: elanmars on July 16, 2014, 06:26:34 PM
Any of you guys using stock suspension/front end parts with these wheels? Spacers? Longer studs?

Yes, completely stock suspension/studs/ no spacers. The overall tire height is exactly the same size as the old 15 inch tires. The only real difference when you start upsizing your wheels to 17-18 inches is that the wheel gets taller, while the tire sidewall gets shorter.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

myk

Dino

Quote from: myk on July 17, 2014, 03:53:08 AM
Factory pieces except the shocks and sway bars...

Same here but have not installed the rear bar yet.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona