News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Kickdown and Steering pump for Big Block Install

Started by Calif240, October 28, 2013, 07:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

So another question regarding changing out my small-block for the 440 while she's got the engine out to get repaired from the accident...

I've got everything basically ordered for the 440, tranny and engine are getting built, but I believe the transmission kickdown is different (correct me if wrong). I was looking to purchase a big-block 727 kickdown linkage and have a couple of options. The first is to find one on ebay and just clean and repaint. The second is to buy from an aftermarket source. Wondering if there is any benefit to ordering a shiny new one from aftermarket other than looks? If the recommendation is to get an aftermarket one, then which one? A&A? Lokar?

Secondly, can I use my existing small-block steering pump? Does it need a new mount? I can't seem to find anything describing if this pump fits both small block and big-block.

Appreciate all the help from everyone while I get through all of this...
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Dino

Hmm I don't know if I can be much help here.  My 318 car had the 440 already installed when I bought it.  I have not heard much good about the Lokar linkage, I would go with the stock setup.  The pump should be the same.  These are the only pics of it I have on this pc, if you need better ones I can take some tonight.  With some luck there's part numbers on there as well!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back N Black

RIDGERACER383

If you go with the stock kick down its a 3 piece system and connects to a post on the side of the tranny..My bolt broke off on my post and now I have to pull the tranny to fix it.You can go to the salvage yard and find the linkage in a old RV.People don't think to look in those and a lot were powered by big block mopars.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Moparparts

Yes the kickdown linkage is totally different from a small block to a big block including the throttle bracket. 1st, second, and third generation are also different pieces and some 71 big blocks used a one piece kickdown and all 72 and up did. Also the rod from the throttle control bracket lever to the trans bellcrank rod on the 3 piece set up is different from a 383 to a 440  Watch who or what you buy used on e-bay because about 75% or more of it i see on a weekly basis is incorrect as described. If you are going to get it from a truck or motor home you could have firewall clearance issues depending on what year you are working on so keep that in mind also. I wish i could help but all i have available is a complete 3 piece set up for a 68-70 383 but do have some individual pieces including 400 and 440 single rods for 3rd generations
Pump interchanges may vary depend on the year or design pump (Federal, Saginaw, TRW) you are using but many pumps use different brackets and or pump/pulley for a big block. I may be able to help with some brackets or a pump if you need one PM or e-mail me

Quote from: Calif240 on October 28, 2013, 07:45:36 PM
So another question regarding changing out my small-block for the 440 while she's got the engine out to get repaired from the accident...

I've got everything basically ordered for the 440, tranny and engine are getting built, but I believe the transmission kickdown is different (correct me if wrong). I was looking to purchase a big-block 727 kickdown linkage and have a couple of options. The first is to find one on ebay and just clean and repaint. The second is to buy from an aftermarket source. Wondering if there is any benefit to ordering a shiny new one from aftermarket other than looks? If the recommendation is to get an aftermarket one, then which one? A&A? Lokar?

Secondly, can I use my existing small-block steering pump? Does it need a new mount? I can't seem to find anything describing if this pump fits both small block and big-block.

Appreciate all the help from everyone while I get through all of this...
Terry