News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi factory correct AC?

Started by ws23rt, October 10, 2013, 09:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

I am sure many have added AC to their Hemi car or added a Hemi to an AC car.

What I am wondering is if any one went to the effort to make a Hemi AC car as close as possible to how it would have been done at the factory?

If so than I expect a few unique pieces will be needed to do this.  (We need to try to think like the engineers of the day and raise all the questions about originality that we love to address when in public with our cars) :slap:

A383Wing

air cleaner would be the first item that will need to be addressed...

I had Factory AC on an inline dual quad 383 years ago

ws23rt

:2thumbs:--The air cleaner is the first thing I didn't think of :shruggy:

A383Wing

compressor mounting brackets would have to be configured as well, all the brackets out there were for big block or small block and they bolted to intake manifold bolts. Plus one bracket went from compressor to front exhaust stud on drivers side. So a whole new mounting system would need to be invented

Todd Wilson

Who has a factory Hemi AC car?!
:scratchchin:

Todd

ODZKing

ws23rt

Quote from: ODZKing on October 11, 2013, 10:59:30 AM
Not sure what year we're talking but I know you couldn't get A/C on a Hemi in 67.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1967/67_Charger0010.jpg

I am thinking about cars with the 426Hemi.  Is far as I know Ac was not an option for any of the 426 cars 65-71.
This is a what if situation.

Some people have factory AC cars and want to or have swapped in a 426.  If all that is needed for a factory looking system is mounting brackets for the compressor It could be rather easy.  Maybe a different hose length and hose retainers as well?

When the factory addressed the issue of power steering for example they designed an offset bracket for the booster. But they made a mistake in the design that led to the need for some thick washer like shims to make it work.  Then for the fresh air cars the collector box needed a pocket made to fit the master cyl. (I'm thinking of 69 bee and coronet)

If some one has done an AC conversion like this I would be interested in the issues found.  Maybe a conversion kit/package would have value?

JB400

Mount your compressor low on the right side of the car, and it'll allow you to keep the stock air cleaner.  You'll have to make brackets anyway to mount it, no matter where you put it. 

A383Wing

no 426 Hemi came with factory AC....there is a kit out there that allows a Sanden compressor to me mounted under the alternator....but stock fuel pump must be removed and an electric pump installed

ws23rt

I've done some measuring and test fitting with a factory compressor on my 69 coronet. It should be the same as charger.

It will fit in the space next to the battery. The pulley aligns, the fresh air box clears, air cleaner as well, original coil mount ok, and the cap from the power steering pump can be removed.
I have no intention of converting my car (Non AC Hemi car)  but I like the idea of the vintage look and function. :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

If I'd ever win the lottery so that I could afford the hemi engine, ::)

I'd show y'all exactly how the factory installation would have looked if it had been offered. :Twocents:

I had this all planned out for the Daytona, but at this point it's starting to look like it'll be powered by

Briggs and Stratton. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

marshallfry01

I've seen a 440 6 pack with a/c before. The air cleaner had to be trimmed very little on the front edge. Now that's on a 440.... Idk if it would be different on a 426. And this is prolly a dumb question, but we're all 426 hemi's a 6 pack? I've never thought about it until now.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 11, 2013, 10:32:14 PM

I had this all planned out for the Daytona, but at this point it's starting to look like it'll be powered by

Briggs and Stratton. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

I got a Honda lawnmower here if ya wanna use that....  :nana:

Quote from: marshallfry01 on October 11, 2013, 11:15:46 PM
I've seen a 440 6 pack with a/c before. The air cleaner had to be trimmed very little on the front edge. Now that's on a 440.... Idk if it would be different on a 426. And this is prolly a dumb question, but we're all 426 hemi's a 6 pack? I've never thought about it until now.

all 426 street Hemi's were inline dual 4bbl carbs....6pac was not offered on the Hemi

Cooter

Imo, with all the Sanden compressors out now in kit form which weigh less, cool better, all but leak free designs, this would be an excercise in futillity. Not worth the time to make a compressor that's too heavy work with an engine that even the engineers figured the people who bought the Hemi didn't ness. Need.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

Quote from: Cooter on October 12, 2013, 07:45:49 AM
Imo, with all the Sanden compressors out now in kit form which weigh less, cool better, all but leak free designs, this would be an excercise in futillity. Not worth the time to make a compressor that's too heavy work with an engine that even the engineers figured the people who bought the Hemi didn't ness. Need.

I do many things that are impractical and some that are just plain nuts (like my 472ci hemi motorcycle) (no plans for AC on that :lol:)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ws23rt on October 12, 2013, 09:21:34 AM
Quote from: Cooter on October 12, 2013, 07:45:49 AM

I do many things that are impractical and some that are just plain nuts (like my 472ci hemi motorcycle) (no plans for AC on that :lol:)

Exactly. :coolgleamA:

If I was worried about practical...

I'd be rollin' in a minivan. :eek2:

Cooter

You'd also see those Charger grilles for $500.00 too...Profit and feesibility are things that would shut it down. Thinking like an engineer of course.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 12, 2013, 04:22:40 PM

that could still happen in the future...just sayin......  :nana:

ws23rt

Hmm--Minivan with mid eng hemi and room for the wheel chair too :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: A383Wing on October 13, 2013, 02:43:54 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 12, 2013, 04:22:40 PM

that could still happen in the future...just sayin......  :nana:

Only if it has the wood grain on the sides. :nana: :nana: :nana:

And keep that Honda lawn mower engine handy for me...

Just in case. ::) :smilielol: