News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake hose ??? Rear mounted???

Started by photon, October 15, 2013, 11:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

I am running 11.75 rotors, pin style calipers off a 1973 challenger.  I am running into a brake hose issue.  I mounted them in the rear for sway bar clearance issues.  What hoses are you running?  I have a hose from a 73 challenger that the only way to reach would be to route it in front of the shock and back.  The one I have is 14 inches and to short.  They do make an 18 inch hose,  however I do not know if that is a good idea to run you hose like that.  Do the banjo bolt style hoses on that caliper ever loosen up with the vibration and turning of the car.   I had the wrong calipers at first from a 78 fury an they had a nice raised edge on them where the brake hose and banjo bolt go into the caliper.  Thanks for any brake style hose suggestions.

Mopar Nut

Have you looked into stainless steel brake hoses, you can buy then in different length's.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

photon

I have not looked into that yet.  I may have to go that direction.  I know this topic has been beat to death.  I just feel my rear mounted 73 challenger calipers with the banjo bolt style hoses could loosen up.  I have seen a few photos of people running the same set up I have.  I just could not see the hose insertion point into the caliper.  The banjo style hose I have does not have any lip to catch on the caliper to prevent it from loosening up over time.  Maybe it would never loosen, it just appears that it could.

bull

1980 St. Regis hoses work great for rear-mounted Challenger calipers on a 11.75" Fury based setup. That said, they're not much longer than 14" (14.375") but they work fine on my car. There's a full range of motion without kinking or rubbing. Tighten the heck out of the banjo bolts and the only flex you'll get is in the hose.

photon

Thanks Bull.  I have a set.  I may price a longer braided line and go around the shock and back to the mounting tab on the frame rail.  I did see a person who welded an additional mounting tab in front of the upper control arm and ran a custom made steel brake line between the two and then ran the rubber line from the front to the caliper.  Then they were able to use the non banjo style brake hose.