News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need suggestions for fuel tank vapor system bypass (have fuel leak now)

Started by nge, October 02, 2013, 08:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nge

Hi all,
Ive had my 73 Charger on the road for 5 months now 9my wife's daily driver :icon_smile_big:) but just noticed that the previous owner has removed the fuel tank vapor/evaporation system.  What he did was remove the charcoal canister and all of the associated lines. 
There are 4 nipples/hose connections on the drivers side of the tank that go to the evap system and the previous owner has just jumped these together. Each evap nipple is connected to the one next to it with a small length of fuel line. 
These leak when the tank is full. As luck would have it they are all above the drivers side tailpipe, so when I fill up these leak and drip onto the exhaust.

Any recommendations as to how solve this?  I'm not sure if the 73 tanks need to vent, if they have vented fuel caps or how anyone of the forum members handled this on their fuel tanks.
Thanks

myk

Restore the original functionality-that's the only right way to fix the problem.  I got my '69 the same way: no vapor return line, just plugged up.  I'm pretty sure there are reproduction lines and other pieces that you would need to restore the system completely.  At the very least, you could just re-cap all of the fitings on the sending unit/tank...

Dino

You can do what has been done but do it properly so it doesn't leak.  I would likely try that right now, seeing it's a daily.  But I do agree with Myk so my vote also is to make it like it once was when you have the chance.

Seriously though, do not drive that car until the leak is fixed.  I'm not overly worried about the liquid portion, but the vapors...oh dear...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

flyinlow

The 73s are not vented at small pressure differentials . Like less than 0.5 psi. The vapors went to the charcoal canister. At higher differentials the gas cap would vent to protect the tank.

I spliced the four tank vents lines that went to the vent /surge tank together and ran thru the vent line to the front of the car. I installed an in line gas filter at the end and hid it under the front right fender as high above the tank level as possible. This worked until I repaired the small vent tank that was leaking and reinstalled the canister. I did not fill the tank completely with this temporary fix, unless I was going to drive enough to burn down a couple gallons before parking.