News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adding a functional hood scoop...Phase 1 Completed...

Started by 72Charger-SE, April 26, 2014, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

Hello,

I am adding a hood scoop to my 72 Charger however I don't have the 440 in nor is it even built yet.  I do plan to make this a functional add on so I am needing a few measurements.  Can someone please measure to the 'center' of the a four barrel carb (threaded rod where air cleaner cover mounts).  The measurements I am needing are as follows:

1.) Distance from center of firewall to center of 'post'
2.) Distance from driver's side (inside) fender in a straight line the same distance from the firewall as measurement #1
3.) Distance from passenger's side (inside) fender in a straight line the same distance from the firewall as measurement #1
4.) Distance from front radiator support to center of 'post'

Any other measurements you believe would be beneficial as well.

If anyone could provide this to me I would be very grateful.

RallyeMike

13-1/2 from lip of the firewall
24-5/8 from the passenger fender edge
27-5/8 from the driver fender edge
27 from the back edge of the core support

You really want to focus on centering the scoop in the hood. Then make any adaptation to fit the motor under that.

Have fun!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

72Charger-SE

RTSE470

Any idea what type/look you plan on going with on your Charger? I'm also considering adding a functional scoop to mine as I have a spare flat hood that I am going to also paint just so I can change the appearance from time to time.

72Charger-SE

Well...  Here it is...   Custom made and fabricated...  Not perfect...  but I really "LOVE" metal fabrication... It is fun... I am considering getting an english wheel... 

I can't count how many times I measure.. and re-measured.. and 'reconfirmed' the measurements... 

72Charger-SE

And a few more with the scoop placed on...  I fab'd the scoop a couple days ago... 

Now I am deciding how to properly mount the scoop.  I don't think I want to weld on the hood...  considering riveting on and then covering it with fiberglass filler to create the look I want.

72Charger-SE

Photos of the hood scoop installation process from today...

polywideblock

lookin good   :2thumbs: 
don't forget that big hole at the front will suck up a lot of water if you get caught in a storm and leave somewhere for the water to go  :Twocents: 

had a pro stock scoop back in the 80 "s    :yesnod:   

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

72Charger-SE

First time ever working with fiberglass...  trying to get the 'slope for the scoop the same on all sides...

72Charger-SE

Set the hood back on the car...   I like the look and am very pleased with how it came out... :2thumbs: