News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the hole in the headliner for? and rear speakers

Started by Lord Warlock, August 29, 2013, 12:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

My headliner had a threaded hole on each side, like where someone could install shoulder belts.  It was about an inch behind the hooks where you'd hang a coathanger or jacket behind the seat above the rear quarter glass.  As far as I can tell,  the car never had shoulder belts, there was no front mount where they'd fasten near the visors, plus the coathanger hook thing would have been in the way.  Never knew what went there, makes me wonder what special option i had that i couldn't see what it was.  Car has several rare options like the right side manual mirror. 

Also, rear speakers, are they supposed to be 4x6 or 5x7?  a 6x9 won't fit in there, Mine had a single front and a single rear speaker, did not have a defroster so nothing fills the other side hole, so figure i'll install a set of rear speakers to go with the factory am/fm with fader.  Will also probably mount a hidden stereo system somewhere in the car, although the am/fm still works fine, it never was a stellar performer, i've kind of gotten addicted to MP3/bluetooth enabled car stereos.  Who needs a cassette/8track/cd player when you can store 300+ songs on a hard drive inside the car. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Brock Lee

The front mounts actually are mounted sandwiched under the visor mounting bases. So you can remove those and leave no trace. There would be a hole for the belt mounting bolt forward of the coat hook and a small hole by the coat hook for the snap that hung the excess belt out of the way when not being used. Not sure what year your car is, but I believe the shoulder belts became standard equipment January 1, 1968. So cars made before that it was optional, after standard. Kind of like the headrests became standard January 1, 1969.

Dino

One speaker is 6x9 the other is 5x8 but you can mount a 6x9 from the bottom as well.

The hole near the coat hook is for the shoulder belts like Brock said.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Like Brock stated, your 69 was standard equipped with front shoulder belts
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Lord Warlock

car is a very early 69 build, (904)  strange how i settled in that area code.  While I wouldn't mind having shoulder belts, there was no trace of them when i got the car, and no visor mounts either.  Considering everything was stock original when i got it, radio was unplugged but that was about it.  It had the lap belts but no shoulder belts.  Wish i knew what happened to the seat belts, managed to misplace them over the years.  (don't usually use seat belts anyway, but would like to have at least front belts again.) Have the low back buckets without headrests (preferred the headrest seats, but take what i got and deal with it).

Had a snap on one side but not the other, so guess it had shoulder belts at one time.  Not sure if i'll put them on again, the new headliner likely won't have the snaps or holes visible. If i ever get it installed, its on a temporary delay till i can move the other car out.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

cudaken

I bet the reason they where removed is because of there poor design. My 68 Road Runner came with them (I still have the belts in the garage) and when in uses they go across my neck! I am a big believer is seat belts, but not the early shoulder belts.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

Dino

I removed mine, those things will break your neck.  Not sure that was the plan....

You 'could' use the XV type belts or whoever they got the design from.  Those are pretty nice.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

Rather than grinding/Dremel tooling material out of the package tray speakers openings for 6x9's, I just installed Polk Audio 5x7 coaxial's. Still needed a bit of Dremel tool shaping but they dropped right in and sound great.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Lord Warlock

In the 70s i just dropped 6 inch round speakers in the holes and covered it with the package tray board, seemed to work fine, but not sure why i took them out,  Thought they were supposed to be 5x7s.  I remember having these weird looking pioneer flat speakers that sat on top of the dash for front left and right, they had a volume knob on each speaker and were mostly tweeters with some mids, i probably moved them to another car when i stored it.  

Not sure what i did with the front seat seat belt retractors, they were on the car when i got it, and i almost never tossed anything, may have threw it in a box somewhere, with any luck they may be stuck away somewhere in my dad's hobby garage (huge 70' x 30'), i'll have to ask him if he's seen any of them.  I got one box of leftover engine parts, nuts bolts, and strange items...such as oil pickup, extra rocker arms, rocker rods etc.  Also while looking for a wheel puller i had tucked away today, i found an extra power steering pump i forgot that i had.  I do wish now that i hadn't given away the extra ralley dash cluster i had that came with the engine and trans that are in the car now, would have made a great core for a rebuild.  

pirateDan

They sell universal 6x9 speaker adapter plates.  You can look it up at Amazon.  They're about $10 a pair.