News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hard start when warm

Started by mr70charger440, August 25, 2013, 10:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr70charger440

Okay. I need help please. 70 Charger big block is VERY hard to start one I drive it for about 20 minutes continuously. It has a holley 700 vacuum secondary. And stock style electronic ignition. It will crank and crank and crank. If I give it more than one pump it floods it and makes it even harder to start and it pings like crazy once it starts. But if I just barley rest my foot on the gas and as soon as I let off the key it tries (or does) start. I know its got fuel. And the coil does not get very hot. So im not sure whats going on. And advice will be great. Thanks! It does not ping when it starts IF I DONT PUMP IT
68' Charger R/T (restored)
70' Charger (In progress)
68' RoadRunner (Backburner)
68 Coronet 440 (Backburner)
68' Dart (Sold)

charger Downunder

Check out the earth wire take it of the body sand it and make sure it has good contact.
Fuel level hight and choke setting look into them.
[/quote]

Cooter

ECU...

Sounds like you have the dreaded stock electronic, orange box woes.

Only happens when hot?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mr70charger440

only happens when hot. but the thing is, I can shut it off and instantly try to start it, and it will fire right up every time. only if It sits for a few minutes is it HARD to start.
68' Charger R/T (restored)
70' Charger (In progress)
68' RoadRunner (Backburner)
68 Coronet 440 (Backburner)
68' Dart (Sold)

Cooter

Next time, take a look down carb and see if floats too high causing fuel to be ran inyo intake causing a temp. Flood condition.
Are you running an isolator? Phenolic spacer?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

That's what I was going to suggest; sounds to me like the fuel might be boiling in the bowls.  Try a spacer, as Cooter said.  Also, if the 'carb is flooding that easily then maybe look into the float levels as well?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"