News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gasoline to electric conversion on a 68-70 Charger

Started by Charger440RDN, August 21, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Personally, I'd prefer a Mountain Dew and a candy bar.
An electric Charger is the queerest idea for these cars that I have ever heard. I'd rather see a diesel conversion.

Tilar

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 09:42:24 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 22, 2013, 08:31:31 PM
Quote from: XS29L on August 22, 2013, 08:18:45 PM
I'm sure it can be done , but I like the sound of dual exhaust or open headers. Not the sound of big cordless drill.

I wonder if they can come up with a way to make it sound like it has a real engine under the hood and an exhaust, an elaborate exterior speaker system maybe?   :shruggy: :lol:

It could definitely be done with speakers (that's the only way it could be done, without adding a gasoline engine solely for the sound effect), and they definitely have plenty of juice to power them (far more juice than a regular car has available), though it would rob you of range, because the batteries would be drained quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

:lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

John_Kunkel

Back on subject, let me tell you about an electric car I saw back in the early eighties.

Picture a Triumph TR6 with the drivetrain removed and the rear axle replaced by a huge electric motor. Every usable inch of space consumed by standard lead/acid batteries. Doesn't sound too unusual until you look inside the body shell and see that each of the four suspension corners has a large diameter rod attached that travels up and down with the suspension travel....the rod passes through a vertical guide bushing. One side of the rod has teeth machined in it much like a steering rack and the teeth in the rack drive a pinion gear attached to a (wait for it) standard 46-amp Mopar alternator. Since an alternator will put out when turned in either direction, the genius designer thought that the constant up/down movement of the rack/pinion setup would drive the alternators fast enough to provide enough power to partially recharge the batteries.

Upon seeing this abortion my thought was "how fast does the Mopar alternator have to turn just to keep the ammeter on the CHARGE side?" Probably 2000 rpm? Obviously, the whole charging concept was a failure but it made for interesting eye candy.

I saw the car in a friend's shop that specialized in diesel and electric conversions. I've often regretted not rushing home for my camera to document this oddity...nowadays it would be on Youtube in no time.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

Dismissed.....

Back on topic again.
Worked on my first hybrid Toyota trans R&R the other day. Flywheel looked kinda like straight drive clutch.
Found out after swap that a coil on plug gone bad will kill one these trans'....
Tell your green buddies to at least tune up the engines.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GL0169

So your saying if i change my General Lee to electric i will have to call it "General Electric" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fred

Quote from: GL0169 on August 25, 2013, 10:40:27 PM
So your saying if i change my General Lee to electric i will have to call it "General Electric" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Quote from: GL0169 on August 25, 2013, 10:40:27 PM

Ba-dum-dum!

Just 6T9 CHGR

taking out all the BS posts in this thread was NOT worth my time and effort.

Screw it.  Locking this thread too.   Play nice
Chris' '69 Charger R/T