News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Optima Red Top Battery - 1969 Charger

Started by 69fourspd, July 23, 2013, 12:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

I know there are many cars out there with Optima red top batteries, so I am hoping for some info.  Optima does not make a group 27 red top, so which one are you guys using? I would like the battery to fit in the tray, but I cant imaging the top hold down would fit at the corners unless the battery is a 12.5 inch long group 27.  Any ideas on what battery is used and any mods?

Thanks!

69fourspd

I'll take a yellow top Optima as well..... Anybody?

Ghoste

Most of the Optimas I've seen, and thankfully two of these haven't been in a lot of Mopars, have been either using a homemade hold down, a bungee cord, or nothing at all.   I vote for adapting a hold down but making it look as oem as possible.

bull

If I weren't using an OE style red cap AGM battery in my Charger I'd buy an Odyssey. IMO the best you can get.

Fred

Quote from: bull on July 28, 2013, 02:22:50 PM
If I weren't using an OE style red cap AGM battery in my Charger I'd buy an Odyssey. IMO the best you can get.

:iagree:    I've said it before, definitely the best you can buy.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

WHITE AND RED 69

I'm using the red top group #34. Fits fine in the tray and still uses the factory hold down.  :2thumbs:  But it does sit on a tray that raises it an inch that came with the battery.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

69fourspd

Thanks for the info guys.  Any chance you have a pic of the setup WHITE & RED?

How about the Optima? Is there a size that fits well with the factory hold down?

JB400

Hotchkis makes a battery hold down.  Check in Classic Industries Mopar catalog $75 plus shipping

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 69fourspd on July 29, 2013, 12:05:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys.  Any chance you have a pic of the setup WHITE & RED?

How about the Optima? Is there a size that fits well with the factory hold down?

Here it is. It's a bit smaller than the battery tray, but works perfectly for me and haven't had a single issue in 4 years. You can see the factory hold down fits fine on the battery, never had a problem with the battery moving.   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

69fourspd

Thanks for the pic.  Looks good to me.   :2thumbs:

For any others, the battery is an OPTIMA 8002-002 34 REDTOP.

Checked out the Odyssey batteries and they are very nice - difference of $100 from the Optima though.  Going to pick up a battery tender for winter and should be good to go with the Optima.