News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice from you structural gurus on how to proceed :)

Started by Dave27, June 17, 2013, 09:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave27

LOL...thats 3 coats of primer not 23

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 18, 2013, 03:26:22 PM
Quote from: Dave27 on June 18, 2013, 01:43:17 PM
Cool my picture worked. Heres my other two cars I just completed. Theres a few small things left to do to both but there allways is :) Adjust hinges on Nova,couple trim pieces on the vette,vette needs new front shocks picking them up today.The 68 vette looked just like the charger when I started no frontend from the doors foward.My friend used to work for corvette for 20 years doin their body work did the nose for me on that one and all of the bodywork on the car,stripped the whole thing down to the fiberglass.Then my other freind who paints show cars gell coated it and painted it for me.It got 23 coats of primer with the ;last coat a primer pink to make the red pop then 7 coats of red...fun fun fun :)
So you have (math) 30 coats of paint ?

Patronus

I bet I could've pulled the motor in the time it took to read this thread.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Brian in GA

Quote from: Patronus on June 19, 2013, 12:36:52 PM

:smilielol:  That's the funniest thing I've read all week.

JB400

Quote from: Brian in GA on June 19, 2013, 12:56:27 PM

:smilielol:  That's the funniest thing I've read all week.
Sounds realistic to me :scratchchin:

Dave27

LOL :rofl:You are welcome to I have a brand new engine hoist and a rotating engine stand to put it on .I'll buy you a case of beer and make you a steak dinner :) To be honest though I would rather have someone come over and tack weld the inner fenders and the core support for me that way I know its all good  :laugh: I'm sure I can do it but this is my first mopar and I don't think I could do it as well as someone who has done it befor.I'll give it my best shot though.

Aero426

Quote from: Dave27 on June 18, 2013, 08:48:57 AM
Thanks for the info on the stands. I wonder if Harbor Freight has those they allways cary a bunch of one time use cheap stuff allthough usually good enough to accomplish what you need done.So on jacking the car basically just get the fram so its exactly level mine is alittle lower in the front. The wheels wouldnt neccesarily have to leave the ground corrrect as long as the car is level and supported in say 6 places. So I'm thinking 2 stands in the back,2 stands in the front and 2-4 inbetween under the unibody.I'll probly pick the cheapo stands up tonight and get her all jacked up and level and those tubes cutoff this weekend. My parts are supposed to be here by next tuesday :icon_smile_tongue:Hopefully I can find some measurements to set the core support.

You want one stand in each of the four torque box areas of the car.   Then two more on the front rails, so the weight of the engine does not drag the front rails downward.    I would also place two stands on the rear rails as well as the whole car is tied together. 

I like the adjustable stands mentioned.    How do you know when the front rails are properly compensated for overhang?     The answer is, to adjust the height on your front stands upward with the screw adjusters.    When it just BARELY starts to take the weight off the front torque box stands,  you have it right. 

Dave27

Well its all done I cheated. I paid a mopar guru to do it for me ,What an ausome job he did you cant evn tell it had ever been messed with.Shes all back to origonal now,now the fun stuff begins putting it all back together. Its amazing how much money you can spend undoing privious owners hack jobs to make something right :)