News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had some bad luck yesterday

Started by RIDELIKEHELL, June 23, 2013, 09:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

That's great news Marc  :2thumbs: Glad they found the problem.  :yesnod:

We had this conversation awhile back but i'm not sure if you remember me telling you to check the ammeter studs and bulkhead connector. I allways use nylock nuts on the ammeter studs to keep things tight and the juice flowing like it should.

Loose connections build heat and i bet a lot of the ammeter failures we hear about originate from this source. I've never burnt up an ammeter but my connections are allways secure and tight.  :2thumbs:

Hopefully this is the end of your issues and once the carb gets dialed in it should run fantastic.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

X2 Ron, I check the ammeter connections and bulkhead connector annually.

resq302

Ron,

:2thumbs:   Another great idea about the Nylock nuts!  I'll have to do that the next time my cluster is out!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1974dodgecharger

why not just bypass the ametter? thats what i did and just connected the two wires tofether, upgraded all around to 10g and call it good? why try to fix something that dangerous for it to happen again?

Ghoste

If its treated the way the factory intended it isn't dangerous.  Its gotten a bad rap in the last few years through overtaxing its abilities with the high current draw accessories so many want to add now and with internet global reporting.

RIDELIKEHELL

I remember you saying that Ron but had checked the voltage at the firewall and to the coil and it was good. The big problem was getting it to repeat the problem while i was checking it. Glad it's resolved and i learned a lot from this as well as got my hands a little dirty in the process  :2thumbs: Waiting for the roads to dry up so i can cruise this afternoon. BTW it was a lot better of the line when i drove it home yesterday and shifted great  :coolgleamA:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2013, 06:59:43 AM
If its treated the way the factory intended it isn't dangerous.  Its gotten a bad rap in the last few years through overtaxing its abilities with the high current draw accessories so many want to add now and with internet global reporting.

good point! guess once you add a radio to the mix things can get nasty on those old 16g wires.

Ghoste

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2013, 10:08:34 AM
Depends on the radio.  ;)

I have a non working radio just to fill the hole .... I want to hear the roar of the 440 :yesnod:
AMD POSTER BOY

RIDELIKEHELL

Took it for a couple good runs yesterday in the heat and she is running rich but well. I should be getting the carb re-jetted Monday/Tuesday. Here's some remnants I left on the way home :icon_smile_big: First time I let it go from a stop...Traction is a problem  :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

Ghoste

The dog is obviously impressed. ;D

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2013, 06:59:43 AM

:iagree:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.