News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My FIRST 120+ Ride in the Daytona

Started by Speedfreak, June 09, 2013, 09:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedfreak

Had the perfect chance today, beautiful weather and wide open stretch in Long Island, just nailed it and before I knew I was up to 122, felt like it was just gliding in the air, no turbulence that I could feel or hear, too bad  I had to get off it  :'(   Handled really well, only thing I feel can use some improvement is the brakes.  I have the standard PDB, all brand new, but think for higher speeds I should upgrade somewhat without going nuts like Wildwood.  Any suggestions?

hemi68charger

For the amount of times you're going to be breaking 120+ mph, I would leave well enough alone.. Seems like a lot of work for the infrequent benefit.............. Now, if you plan on doing 120+ mph more, I would get yourself going faster to avoid The LAW......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

Been up to 135 in ours...the faster we went, the better the car drove.....

Bryan

Speedfreak

Quote from: A383Wing on June 09, 2013, 10:03:30 PM

Bryan

I have the feeling that is true, will find out next time I take it up there again, want to break 130 this time around.

Speedfreak

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 09, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
For the amount of times you're going to be breaking 120+ mph, I would leave well enough alone.. Seems like a lot of work for the infrequent benefit.............. Now, if you plan on doing 120+ mph more, I would get yourself going faster to avoid The LAW......  :icon_smile_big:

Not to worry, I am a retired PO :yesnod:

62 Max

Quote from: Speedfreak on June 10, 2013, 05:38:40 PM

Then you are not setting a very good example ! :nono:

Budnicks

Quote from: 62 Max on June 10, 2013, 06:28:28 PM
Quote from: Speedfreak on June 10, 2013, 05:38:40 PM

Then you are not setting a very good example ! :nono:
yeah probably.... but to hell with that noise, where's the video ??... sounds like fun to me, as long as its out where no-one but yourself could get hurt, if something happened...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: Speedfreak on June 09, 2013, 09:53:41 PM
Had the perfect chance today, beautiful weather and wide open stretch in Long Island, just nailed it and before I knew I was up to 122, felt like it was just gliding in the air, no turbulence that I could feel or hear, too bad  I had to get off it  :'(   Handled really well, only thing I feel can use some improvement is the brakes.  I have the standard PDB, all brand new, but think for higher speeds I should upgrade somewhat without going nuts like Wildwood.  Any suggestions?
maybe step up to some braided S/S Teflon lined brake hoses, front & rear, then some drilled & slotted rotors & softer green stuff or better type brake pads... that should help some...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

ws23rt

Bryan

What a difference the nose and wing make. I have not had the pleasure of driving one of those at speed but I have driven a 68Hemi RR to 150. That car was not designed to go that fast. On a two lane private road it took both lanes. The car was so light the steering was hard pressed to keep in my lane. A one time deal and I am lucky to be remembering it.
Some of you folks may know if this is right. I remember being told that a 68/69 charger was about 300lbs light at 70MPH.

Daytona Guy

I would just use your reverse thrusters.  :lol:

Dane

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 10, 2013, 08:05:10 PM
I would just use your reverse thrusters.  :lol:

Dane

Ha funny you mentioned that. I just flashed back to my advanced Physics class in college, I designed reverse thrusters for emergency braking ( over an X number of ft/lbs of pressure on the brake pedal ).
I remember using a race car body as the design template.
The professor dug it.  :icon_smile_big:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Speedfreak on June 10, 2013, 05:36:56 PM

Bryan

I have the feeling that is true, will find out next time I take it up there again, want to break 130 this time around.

I have a few miles on my 500 at 140 MPH on half worn out red lines back in the day and around 120 you can feel the car settle down  and just changing lanes was quite an effort. Thing is you use up a lot of road fast. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

That's interesting that the 500 settles down like that.  I expect that of course with the Daytona but I always thought the 500 just cut the air a little easier.  Shows how much the disturbed air on the regular Charger interfered with handling.

Highbanked Hauler

I can't say it did settle down but it did load the suspension as you could feel everything.  It was a new road and the hot top "peanuts"  that  fell off on the road from the haulers felt like large rocks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

QuoteThat's interesting that the 500 settles down like that.  I expect that of course with the Daytona but I always thought the 500 just cut the air a little easier.  Shows how much the disturbed air on the regular Charger interfered with handling.
That rear inset window looks nice on the 68-70's but most fail to realize that was a HUGE vacuum and would cause the rear of the car to lift at high speeds.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Not to mention the bulldozer blade for a grille I suppose.