News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I assume these grill end tabs are not supposed to be bent this way?

Started by bull, May 24, 2013, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I would think they're supposed to be perpendicular to the frame except that out of the 8 I have access to only one looks straight. :shruggy: Cant remember what they bolt to either.

JB400

Those are suppose to sit flush up against the inner support of the fenders.  The studs run through the fender support itself.  They look alright to me.  Have you tried bolting it up?

bull

No, I'm still restoring the grill. I'm just not understanding why they're in about 8 different positions, but they're very easy to tweak and both grills have been banging around for years. Guess I'll figure it all out when it's time to install it.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: bull on May 24, 2013, 08:38:38 PM
I would think they're supposed to be perpendicular to the frame except that out of the 8 I have access to only one looks straight. :shruggy: Cant remember what they bolt to either.

They get twisted out of shape when we try to take the rusted nuts off and put the torque to them.

They'll need to be straightened.

At least you didn't twist them all the way off :Twocents:

bull

That's what I figured. :2thumbs: I already straightened the four on the frame I'm restoring.

Daytona R/T SE

Brian in GA

I know from experience, they get twisted by the torque of removing a rusty nut on disassembly.  They're fairly thin metal.  I actually ripped off two on one side removing mine--had to fab up a couple during the resto. 

The good news is, since the metal tabs are fairly thin, it's not much effort to correct the problem when you get ready to mount it up.   

bull

Quote from: Brian in GA on May 28, 2013, 06:57:32 AM
I know from experience, they get twisted by the torque of removing a rusty nut on disassembly.  They're fairly thin metal.  I actually ripped off two on one side removing mine--had to fab up a couple during the resto. 

The good news is, since the metal tabs are fairly thin, it's not much effort to correct the problem when you get ready to mount it up.   

Yeah, I was able to straighten them pretty easily by hand with a rag on the sharp corners.

c00nhunterjoe

I reinforced mine and welded new stainless steel studs in so it won't happen again.... :2thumbs: